What I Never Knew

Chapter 21

As Bruno and I continued to stand in the patio, enjoying the moment of us being together, it was interrupted by a phone call. I pulled my phone out of my back pocket. "Metropolitan Detention Center?" I said aloud. "What?" Bruno leaned over to look at the caller I.D..

"Hello?" I answered. "Crystal! Its Nathan!" I scoffed. "I'm hanging up!" "NO!" I heard the fear in his voice. "Are-are you calling from a damn Detention Center? What the hell did you do?" I asked asked. "Please just come down here and I will explain everything to you." I looked at Bruno, and the looked towards to street. "Don't make me regret this." I said, then hung up. "Babe, what happened? Is everything okay?" "Nathan, he's incarcerated." Bruno snickered. "You're going to go up there?" I smirked at Bruno. "Revenge is sweet eh?"

Bruno told Patrice that he had an emergency, and she had to leave his house. Once she was out of site, Bruno and I drove up the detention center in Los Angeles. Bruno and I knew this was going to show Nathan, that I can live without him.

When we entered the facility, we were scanned and checked. "Who are you here to see?" The officer asked me. "Nathaniel Quinn." I said. "Okay. Go down to line eight." Bruno and I locked fingers and walked to our designated line. We sat there for about five minutes and there he was. In a orange jumpsuit, wild hair, and a beard that was being grown.

A glass separated us and through a phone, was our only way of contact. We picked up the phone in unison. "Baby you look beautiful." Nathaniel said. "What did you do to get in here?" I rushed into questions. "What is he doing here?" "Answer my question and I will answer yours." I said sternly. "I was charged for assult and battery. Leanne and her drama." I rolled my eyes and released a chuckle. "Now, answer my question." Nathan said. "He was my ride." I lied. I'll save the real answer for the end of this conversation.

"Why did you call me down here?" I asked. "I need you to bail me out." My body cringed at the fact he is asking me for a favor. "How much?" "Twenty-five thousand." "You think I'm a damn bank don't you? Your dumbass deserves to be in here. The pain you have put me through, you can be someone's punching bag, and bitch for a couple of months." I said to him.

"And guess what sweetheart." I said to Nathan. "What?" He said in a sinister like voice. "I'm pregnant." His eyes grew large. "It's mine?" He gave a faint smile. I smiled at him. "No." I whispered. He looked at Bruno and at me. "His?" I nodded my head. Nathaniel released a tear. "You think that hurts me?" "I know it hurts you." I said. "I know what hurts you Crystal." I put my chin on my hand. "That I met your own father before you did."

My heart dropped to my stomach. I never knew my father and my mother never talked about him. "Yo-you know my father?" "Coincidentally, he is my roommate." "What's his name?" Nathaniel smiled at me and put the phone on the hook. "Nathaniel." He stood up and the officer led him to the back. "NATHANIEL!" I screamed.