Chapter 3

A high pitched scream startles me awake. I fell asleep in the waiting room. The nurse at the desk runs through the same double doors that they took Genevieve through and I chase after her. "No! No!" I follow the commotion and find the room where Genevieve has backed herself into a corner trying to get away from the doctors. I rush in and put myself between her and the wave of doctors and nurses coming towards her.

"Woah, hold it! What's happening in here?" Genevieve looks over my shoulder.

"We need to get her to get an MRI, but she started freaking out. We have to make sure there is no brain damage." I sigh.

"Give me a few minutes with her. Let me see if I can get her to calm down." The doctor looks like he is going to protest, but he closes his mouth and nods. He tells everyone to leave the room and closes the door behind them. I turn around and move so Genevieve can come out of the corner. "So, would you care to explain to me why you are refusing to have them scan your brain?" She rubs her hands together and sits on the edge of the bed. She looks down at her hands and sighs.

"Gibbs, I was born with a significantly different brain structure than other people. This makes me a target for some pretty shady stuff, even on the governmental level." She looks up at me with emerald eyes and her hair falls from behind her ears. I sit next to her. "When I was five, I got hit by a girl on the teeter totter and I had to come to the hospital and get an MRI. The tests showed that I have a different brain structure. Nothing like any doctor has ever seen, to this day. A few days after that my father was approached by some government researchers that wanted to study me.

"My father took the offer they gave him, and next thing I knew I was being studied and..."

"And what, Genevieve?"

"I can't tell you that, Gibbs. Because honestly, I don't remember what they were training me for." She starts to cry. "Why can't I remember?" I wrap my arm around her and allow her to lean against my shoulder. I rub her arm and shoosh her lightly. "I can remember every injury but I can't remember what they were doing to me. But I become scared around hospitals and MRIs and sedatives, and all of that stuff." She pulls away and looks at me. "Gibbs, please don't let them do this to me."

"Genevieve, they have to make sure that you are okay. You were hit by a car, and they have to make sure that your brain isn't broken." She looks at her hands and sighs. I pull out my phone and make a call. "Hey Abbs, I need to know if you can do something for me."

"And what would that be oh great one?" I look over at Genevieve's confused face.

"I need to know if you can put a fake MRI scan into a computer as the test is being administered?"

"Uhh.... Gibbs, I have no idea. I might be able to go in right after the test and change the file, but I don't think that it's possible to alter it as the test is going. Why are you asking?"

"We have a kiddo with a unique brain structure and a history with being tested on by the government."

"Wow, that's cool. She an alien? Like in Roswell?" 

"Focus, Abbs..."

"Right, okay. My suggestion is to try to get out of the MRI all together. Because they will be able to see the scans as they are scanning her brain. So, that is the safest bet. If not then we might as well put her into hiding." 

"Okay, thanks Abbs." I hang up and look at Genevieve. "We need to find out how to convince the doctors to let you not take the test. Have you ever been diagnosed by a therapist for a phobia?"

"Nope. During my training there was a therapist, but she always asked me questions like if I was feeling violent at all. But I can certainly try to convince them, I have my ways." I am about to say something but a knock at the door stops me. It opens and one of the nurses walks in.

"Have we calmed down enough to take the test?"

"Actually nurse, we have a problem with that. Genevieve has a severe fear of MRIs, and that is what caused her to freak out. Is it possible that we can hold off on the test until we can have her talk to someone and try to work through her fear." The nurse is about to say something but then takes a look at Genevieve's white face. Her eyes soften and she nods.

"Of course, your mental wellbeing is just as important as your physical, if not more important. I will speak with the doctor."

"Is it possible that she can get some discharge papers? It will be easier for us to protect her if she is out of here."

"Actually, her injuries aren't as bad as we thought. We thought that she had a broken leg and ribs and fractured collar bone. As it actually turns out, she only has a fractured collar bone. It's a miracle. I will go get the doctor to sign off on the discharge papers." She closes the door and walks out.

"A miracle," I look over at Genevieve. "Or a girl with a significantly unique brain structure." She looks up at me and smiles lightly.