02 | NEW HOME ✓

CHAPTER 2 | NEW HOME

_______

   The forest air soon became humid and thick as the sun rose higher in the sky. Lauren had no idea how long they had been walking, but she figured it was a long time by watching the sun; the two men and Lauren were continuing their way towards the prison.

After internally complaining about the long walk, Lauren had finally seen a grey building in the distance, past the tree line they were coming close to. The closer they got, the bigger the building got, and the more Lauren anticipated a better shelter than her normal forest home.

The three reached the tree line, as the rising sun gleamed across the leaves, almost making Lauren forget that dead people roamed the earth. The brunette's tired feet carried her across a large field, separating the tree line and the entrance to the prison. In the distance, she could see a tall chain fence that surrounded the place, with barbed wire lined on top of it. Towards where they were walking was a gate, but it seemed to be a remade version of the original, probably from the damage of the apocalypse.

A woman with short brown hair came up to the gate and started prying it open for the three to walk in. She seemed surprised to see a new guest to come with the 2 men.

"This is Maggie," Rick exclaimed, introducing Lauren to her. The girl under the hood studied her, assuming she was in her early twenties.

"Who's this?" Maggie questioned Rick, with slight fear in her voice. She sounded a bit angry at him; she wasn't sure bringing in this mysterious and possibly dangerous girl was a good idea.

He looked at Lauren like he was waiting for her to answer, but she decided not to speak up. The young girl simply, but reluctantly, pulled down her mask, revealing her full face to the three. Rick sighed lightly, before responding for her.

"This is Lauren," he stated while looking between Maggie and Lauren.

Maggie looked annoyed at the situation at hand, but Lauren didn't care what anyone thought of her.

They continued their walk to the main building as Lauren got to study the place. On one side there was a small den that had a pig laying in what looked like to be mud. She also saw someone standing over the fence around the pen looking at the pig, but they were too far away to tell who this person was. The figure looked slightly familiar to Lauren, but she ignored the thought. Closer to the building she saw a small roof overhanging an eating area with lots of people.

Lauren huffed under her breath in annoyance at the amount of people.

"Most of the people there, we took 'em in," Daryl explained as they got closer. She could feel Rick looking at her but the girl still portrayed the same expression. Lauren wasn't one to smile anymore, it wasn't like there was anything to smile about. Lauren didn't care if he tried to give sympathy, she didn't need it.