23 | NEW HOPE

CHAPTER 23 | NEW HOPE

__________

  The two teens had headed back to the barn later in the morning, hoping that the day would be pretty relaxing. Sadly, that wasn't the case. Maggie and Sasha had gone outside for awhile, but came back with a new face.

The man was named Aaron and told them that he and his friend had been following their group for awhile. They wanted to 'recruit' them for their town, but Rick and a few others, especially Lauren, didn't buy it. He said they had cars for them all nearby, so a few of the group members went to check it out. To Lauren's surprise, he was telling the truth. It took a lot of persuasion, but Rick finally agreed to go to this town. It took a whole night of finding Aaron's boyfriend and fighting off a small herd to get there.

The sun was rising low in the sky when Lauren's eyes shot open. Her head had been leaning against the car window beside her, she was a bit dazed while trying to wake herself up. Then she remembered falling asleep for most of the ride there. In the drivers seat was Glenn, and next to him was Maggie. There were a few other cars and an RV, so Carl was the only one in the backseat beside her. Her stomach lurched at the memory of going to this town called Alexandria. Even if it was legit, she couldn't help but feel like it was too good to be true; she lost every ounce of her trust after Terminus.

"Hey, how'd you sleep," Carl whispered, inaudible to the adults who were talking to each other in the front seat. His hand reached towards her back, rubbing it softly as Lauren straightened her posture and took her head off the window. Memories of last night's treacherous dream flooded her mind.

She was stuck in a box. She didn't know why she knew, but she knew she was in a casket deep underground. Specks of dirt fell from above as she could barely move her laid down body. Her breathing was sporadic, she felt like there was no air to breathe. She felt claustrophobic in the tight, damp space she was held in.

Lauren attempted to cry out for help, but no noise escaped her throat. She banged ferociously and frantically against the wooden case above her, but she was alone.

She couldn't comprehend what he was saying, but Lauren could distinctively hear Joe's voice mocking her; his voice was so close the hairs on the back of her neck stood up.

Finally, a blood curdling scream erupted from her throat, making her wake up immediately.

Lauren shook her head, refusing to remember the dream any longer. "Not really." Her hand rubbed her forehead stressfully. The nightmares wouldn't stop. Even if Joe had finally died, he lived forever in her mind. And that scared her to death.