26 | FOUR WALLS

CHAPTER 26 | FOUR WALLS

__________

Lauren's blood ran cold at the sight of multiple people beginning to climb their walls. Alexandria was under attack, but by who? These people were far from walkers, but in some cases pretty similar. They killed like ruthless animals, without remorse.

Like Lauren once did.

Maggie had seen what went on from outside the window after hearing Lauren tell her to grab her weapon. She obeyed.

"We'll have to go through the back," Maggie ordered, and Lauren nodded in agreement. The two scurried across the wooden floor and went into the back alleyway of Alexandria's homes. Maggie began walking towards where Deanna was coming in, but Lauren stopped her for a moment after realizing what she had to do.

"I can't go with you, I need to find Carl and Judith," she whispered. She expected Maggie to fight against that statement, but she nodded in understanding. The older brunette went out from behind the house and near Deanna, whereas Lauren had to keep walking behind the houses until she got near hers.

She was only a few houses down when somebody spotted her sneaking behind the homes. Noticing them coming down the side of a house, she hid near the edge of it and waited till they were about to turn the corner to trip them. Sticking her foot out, they fell for the trap and stumbled over her brown, tattered boot. For a split second Lauren studied the woman who was in her late thirties. Her clothes were old and ripped, and her knife had fresh blood on it. Lauren tried to not think about it too much as she put a bullet in her brain.

She thought she was finally able to get home safely, until she felt somebody slam into her body from her side, sending both of them to the ground with an thud. She was disoriented and slightly confused, but she kicked blindly anyway, feeling her foot impact somewhere on that person's body. They seemed to be quicker than her, slicing their knife across her lower arm. Lauren grit her teeth, a scream passing through them.

She was sure she was good as dead until somebody came from behind them, shoving a knife into their brain. As the body dropped down dead, her mother knelt down to her daughter's level and examined her injury.

"This needs to be stitched up," she demanded while helping Lauren up. The young brunette immediately shook her head, holding her hand over the cut to put pressure on it, minimizing the blood flow; it burned like hell, but she's had worse.

"No, that can wait. We need to get home, this way," Lauren shot back while picking up her dropped pistol and leading the way. They finally got to the back door of the house and walked inside, locking the door shut. The two turned around to be faced with a gun pointed at them; the weapon was lowered when the figure holding it realized who they were.