PROLOGUE

PROLOGUE

_______

  Someone forcefully shook the 11 year old's body, trying to get her to wake up. Lauren Martin's eyes quickly snapped open and glared worriedly at her older sister.

"Come on Lauren, wake up!" Sage Martin pleaded while continuing to shake the once sleeping body of her younger sister.

"What is it?" Lauren questioned while sitting up in her bed. Sage then froze in place, wondering how she was going to explain the current situation to her young sister. She quickly kneeled down while looking up at Lauren laying in her bed.

"Get dressed, we have to leave, now. I'll explain on the way," she answered while tugging at her sister's arm. The young brunette stayed put, since she was pretty stubborn for her age.

"Tell me why," she whined while ripping away from her sister's grasp and crossing her arms. Sage plopped herself impatiently on her sister's bed, her dirty blonde waves bouncing with each movement.

"There's somethin' bad happening okay? I've packed clothes and things for us, we gotta leave before they come-"

"We can't leave our home!" Lauren interrupts while jumping out of bed and facing her sister.

"We have to. It's the only way we'll be safe," Sage replied while grabbing her sisters hand, and holding a backpack for her sister in the other. She already had her own backpack on her back.

Lauren was utterly confused as to what was happening, but surprisingly decided to keep quiet. The girl obeyed Sage and got dressed quickly. After putting on a black t-shirt, a brown jacket and dark blue jeans, Sage wasted no time and tugged her sister downstairs. It was until the last step on the stairs they reached that she spoke up again.

"What about mommy and daddy?" The young brunette asked again while stopping in her tracks. Sage turned around with sympathy on her face.

"We have to leave without them, we have no time to wait, I'm sorry," Sage explained sadly. Sage very well knew she hated not leaving with her parents, waiting till they would get home from work was one of her plans, but Sage was 17, and knew that she could take care of Lauren. After seeing on the news what had happened so far, the disease was making its way towards their neighbourhood. Sage couldn't risk Lauren getting hurt, or worse, getting the disease.

Lauren's shoulders slumped, as tears brimmed her eyelids. Sage bent down and carefully wiped them off her cheek, as the tears started to fall. She hated seeing her young sister like this, but she knew this plan was for the best.

Sage pushed open the white front door, taking a deep breath while mentally saying goodbye to their home. Lauren hoped that in the future they would come back as see mom and dad again, and life would go back to normal.

Lauren was very wrong.

_______