29 | BREATHE

CHAPTER 29 | BREATHE

__________

The grass crunched under her tattered, brown boots, the grey clouds masking the bright blue sky on this melancholy day. Everyday for Lauren was uneventful and unbearable. After leaving Alexandria it took a day and a half to find someplace to stay. Her brain still knew the way back, which she wished she didn't know. She desperately wanted to forget it all, but at the same time everyday she thought about it. About her old life. About Carl.

But mostly about everything she's lost in her useless fight to survive in a world that wasn't meant for someone like her.

She didn't have the same urge to kill to make herself numb and distant with humanity. She had the urge to just be alone, but that was also tearing her apart.

The place she now called home was an average cottage in the woods. There was an old mall nearby with loads of supplies that she went to often. Lauren was almost glad that she never ran into anybody, or else she might have had to kill them. Doing that would make her go through everything she tried to not be. A monster.

The house was a two bedroom, one bathroom bungalow with wooden floors and walls. It reminded her of her old cottage her family used to go to in the summer and winter when school was out.

Lauren readied her stance, lingering her calloused fingers over her dagger. Plunging for it, she took it out, arched her arm backwards and swung her arm forwards, aiming towards the tree in front of her. Practicing her aim was something she did to pass the time since she's gotten rusty with her throwing skills.

Hours had unknowingly passed as she continued to practice, having no sense of time. She never had a sense of time these past few weeks.

About a month had gone by where Lauren did nothing but live alone in that cottage. The young teen looked at herself in the mirror, studying her features. Her hair was tangled and long; she felt no need to cut it. The dark circles under her eyes showed how much she rarely slept, and the emptiness of her forest green eyes stared into the reflection blankly. She rarely washed up, rarely took care of herself.

Sometimes she wondered why she still kept going, but then remembered the last time she put a gun to her head and forgot about ever doing it again.

➸ ➸ ➸

The road ahead flew by. Lauren was somewhere, but she didn't care about it too much. She could feel the breeze brush past her fingers, hand sticking out of the car window. They were in a car. She knew she wasn't alone. A presence was driving the vehicle beside her. Turning, she saw a blue eyed boy grinning widely, admiring the scenery outside of the window. His head turned, brushing his hand over hers. It felt so familiar, like an old family home that you revisit. He felt warm, even warmer than the summer air that engulfed them. He held her tightly, then not at all. She felt nothing.