24 | EPHEMERAL

CHAPTER 24 | EPHEMERAL

__________

Evening had came, and the group had set up a sleeping arrangement in one of the houses. They felt it was safest for the first few days to stick together, and to not separate for any reason. Lauren agreed, even if some part of her felt safe here. She couldn't let her guard down.

Everybody was either talking or sat on the ground getting ready for bed. Deanna had came in, chatting with Rick, but Lauren stayed sitting at the dining room table. She looked up to see a shocked look on Carl's face, before realizing he hadn't seen her new cut yet.

"You look...amazing, I like it," Carl commented, sitting beside her at the table.

"Thanks, I like it too," she replied, placing her hands on the table while absentmindedly twiddling her thumbs.

"I can tell by the look on your face you don't trust this place, you've had that look the minute we stepped through those gates," Carl continued. Lauren averted her gaze, but felt his lingering stare on her. She knew she didn't want to tell him her real thoughts. Some part of her wanted to stay, but the other thought it was best to leave.

Lauren let out a deep sigh. "I just...after Terminus, I can barely tell who's good anymore."

"This place could be where Judith can finally be safe."

"I just don't want to meet another Joe."

Lauren turned to face his sympathetic stare. He had a feeling that she was worried about that, but he doubted that it was true. He wanted to stop her fears so badly; it hurt him to see how worried she was.

"I promise, I will never let that happen to you. Or Judith, or anybody. Never."

Lauren couldn't help but smile at his promise. His arm slid around her as Lauren's head rested on his shoulder in comfort. His touch always gave her a warm feeling, a feeling of security and affection.

Closing her eyes, she realized she could sit there in his arms forever.

➸ ➸ ➸

A few days had passed, and so far so good. Carl had asked if she wanted to meet the other kids in Alexandria with him, but she had no desire to meet anybody. She couldn't let her guard down, and the last thing she wanted to do was meet other kids in the area that wouldn't understand her. The whole town didn't understand their group. The people in Alexandria were weak, and blind to the world around them.