07 | NATURE WALK

CHAPTER 7 | NATURE WALK

_______

  She hated this cell block.

It wasn't as nice as the one Lauren was staying in, but Hershal was making all the infected people stay in one of the blocks, which was this one. Anyone who was basically at the sight of the outbreak had to stay in there. Luckily, Lauren didn't have any signs of infection, so she could probably be let out the next day.

She placed her backpack in the small cell she had to sleep in for the time being. It was way smaller than where she normally slept, an uneasy feeling washed over her. There weren't any curtains for doors, there were actual cell doors, with bars and everything.

She turned, the cell walls mocking her. They reminded her of a certain room. She felt way more secluded than her regular cell.

Too secluded.

Dark room. Loud scream. Impact.

Lauren squeezed her eyes shut. She felt nauseous, and her breathing was jagged. She tried breathing in slowly, but her breath caught in her throat, making her unable to breathe. She had to get out of here. Grabbing a pistol with shaking hands, she ran out, making sure no one saw her. Her breathing became more steady, as she was able to breathe out normally.

She was out of the cell block now, but into a hallway. There were papers all over the floor, she wondered why.

Lauren rounded a corner, when she noticed a figure standing there. It was Carl, of all people. She tried backing away before he could notice her, but it was too late.

"Where are you going?" She could hear Carl ask, Lauren clenching her teeth and turning back around to face him.

"Trying to get away from it all," she mumbled, still audible to Carl.

"I've been walking the halls, my dad told me to look out for everyone," he stated while walking closer to Lauren.

"You should keep your distance," Lauren demanded. A part of her was saying this just because he was Carl, and she was herself. But another part of her did it because she could be infected. She wondered for a second why she even cared if he got sick or not.

"You're walking towards the exit?" Carl questioned as he tilted his head slightly.

"I need to go out there," she answered with a dark tone. It was still hitting her, she felt dizzy, and nausea was flooding back to her.

Dark room. Loud scream. Impact.

"To the cell blocks?" He asked, and Lauren shook her head in disbelief.