05 | CHINESE DAGGER

CHAPTER 5 | CHINESE DAGGER

_______

  Days had passed, and surprisingly Carl and Lauren were on okay terms. Every day she thought of leaving, but she needed the shelter and food, she had gone too long without it to leave. Lauren regularly took care of the walker problem by the fence, seeing as it was her only pass time. She didn't wear her mask often anymore, knowing she didn't have to fully hide herself from anything. But today was cooler out, and she had her cape on with the hood up. She sharply jabbed the pole into a creature's skull, throwing the weapon onto the ground for a break.

Lauren was interrupted from her thoughts when she heard echoed gunshots. Her head sharply turned to the source, noticing Rick going into the same direction. Carl was also with him, and she followed.

"Help! Help!" A faint sound of a girl yelling filled their ears as two kids ran out from the prison.

"Get in the tower with Maggie," Rick ordered Carl as Lauren stepped close enough to hear him. It was strange feeling, but Lauren wanted to help. She hadn't fought in days, killing was like an addiction.

"What can I do?" She asked in a low voice, her hand placed on her knife holster.

"Follow Carl up there," he replied, surprising Lauren. She figured that he would let anybody at least help, she clearly knew how to fight.

"I can help, I can fi-"

"Listen, just follow Carl. I'll see how you can fight another time. This is a serious situation. Don't, Argue." He barked back. Lauren clenched her fists, feeling like steam was ready to come out of her ears, but she finally followed his orders and ran to the tower. Lauren wasn't too fond of Maggie, but she would have to suck it up.

On the way there, screams could be heard about walkers in the prison. Lauren cursed under her breath, not just because of the walker problem, but because somewhere inside herself she cared. She cared for the lives of those people, and she was angry. Stop caring, she kept telling herself, but it didn't do much good.

Lauren reached the doors of the tower, about to swing them open, before Carl suddenly ran out. He gave her a quick glance before heading towards the gates. Lauren was confused as to what he was doing, until she saw somebody riding a horse towards the gate on the other side. She couldn't exactly remember her name, but all she could remember was wanting her badass katana so bad.

Realizing she was having trouble defending herself, Lauren sprinted over and pulled out her knife, seeing as her gun was in her cell. Standing beside Carl, Lauren arched her arm backwards while aiming towards the walker. Lauren threw her arm foreword, releasing the dagger through the gap of the gate, and thankfully it jammed into it's head, making it defeatedly fall to the ground. Carl had turned his head, watching Lauren's skills; he was surprised at how good her aim was.