Chapter 1

Chapter 1 » sciles' love child

"Remind me again why I got stuck with the job of babysitting your love child?"

"Because we're having a conversation" Stiles replied with an eye roll. "And he's not our love child"

"Whatever. And why am I not part of this conversation?" I raised my eyebrows.

"Because you're babysitting our love child" Scott grinned, obviously trying to be funny.

Stiles narrowed his eyes at his best friend, who was now staring up at the sky.

"You all right? You starting to feel it?" Stiles asked.

"No. Just thinking"

"About what?" I stood up and headed over to the boys, abandoning Liam, despite his protests.

"Senior year" Scott answered.

"Senior year?" Stiles laughed. "Come on, that's-that's-that's nothing.That's going to be easy"

"It's more like something Deaton told me once" Scott said. "You ever hear of regression to the mean?"

"No, I don't think so" Stiles replied.

They looked over at me.

"No" I sighed. "But I'm sure you're going to tell me"

"It was his way of saying that life can't ever be all bad or all good. You know, eventually things have to come back to the middle" he explained. "So, think about the last few months. Things have been good, right? But not amazing"

"Yeah, but no one's tried to kill us in six months either" Stiles pointed out.

"Right. We've been pretty much in the middle for a while. Which means, at some point, the scale has to tip one way or the other. Things are gonna get really good again-"

I cut Scott off. "Or really bad"

The three of us stared between each other as thunder crackled in the distance.

"Think it's been long enough?" Scott wondered.

"Yes!" I heard Liam yell from back where the tree was.

"Hey! Trying to have an adult conversation over here" Stiles shouted back.

"All right, you're two years older than me. And I'm fine. Just let me go"

I exchanged glances with the boys and then we headed over to Liam.

Scott had the keys in his hands and started loosening the chains.

"It's not that we don't trust you" Scott started.

"It's that I don't trust you" Stiles butted in.

"Shh he's only a child" I punched Stiles' shoulder, receiving a glare in response.

"But after that last full moon-" Scott continued, ignoring us both.

"It was one slip up" Liam protested.

"Slip up?" Stiles asked in disbelief. "A dozen calls to the Sheriff's department about a 'monstrous dog-boy' running around the streets of Beacon Hills naked. That's a slip up?"

Scott looked up at Liam. "Why were you naked?"

"It was really hot out that night, okay" Liam defended. "Let me go"

"You sure you're okay?" Scott double checked.

Liam nodded. "It won't happen again"

"You're in complete and total control?" I asked.