Chapter 8

Chapter 8 » I should have brought you flowers

"The Dread Doctors by TR. Mccammon" Lydia read out as we walked into school.

She paused, staring at the book.

"What?" Malia asked.

"I don't know. Something about it" she said with a frown.

"Has anyone actually read it yet?" I questioned.

"Just me. And I didn't understand any of it" Malia replied, causing me to chuckle.

"We should probably all read it" Lydia suggested.

"Kira's working on that" My cousin said as we stopped by the lockers. "Stiles says he can't find anything on the author. He thinks it's a pen name"

Lydia turned the book over and read the blurb. "In a small New England town, teenagers are taken in the night and buried alive-" she looked up at us. "Days later they emerge transformed, wreaking havoc and spreading terror, commanded by an ancient order of parascientists known only as the Dread Doctors"

I raised my eyebrows. "Sounds vaguely familiar"

"How does it end?" Lydia asked.

"It doesn't. This is supposed to be volume one" Malia said.

"Oh let me guess, there is no volume two" I said with a sigh.

"I think we're living volume two"

"Then maybe the real question is- is this a novel or someone's prediction"
Lydia said.

I sighed as the three of us started walking into class.

"I don't know guys. This all seems very-" I cut off. "I don't know. Something about this is just weird"

"No kidding" Malia muttered as we took our seats.

Lydia sat down, still staring at the book. About fifteen minutes into the lesson, I heard her heartbeat start to pick up.

Malia looked over at me, obviously noticing too.

We turned around to face her.

"Why is your heart beating so fast?" I asked quietly.

"Look at this" Lydia handed me the book. "Look at the acknowledgements page" she whispered.

"For providing scientific perspective and invaluable insight this book is dedicated to" I stopped reading, double checking I was seeing the right name. "Dr. Gabriel Valack"

~

Whilst the famous four went on a mission to Eichen house, Malia and I decided to do research of our own in the library.

I adamantly said I did not want to go to Eichen House. Mainly, because it was the place where my Uncle Peter was taken after the incident in Mexico where he tried to kill us. But also because it's a horrible place that I never ever want to set foot in again.

My cousin and I found nothing so I started to head back to the Martin household.

On the drive home, I neared Beacon Hills' memorial. In heat of the moment, I made a quick turn and parked up nearby.

It was getting pretty dark and proving a little difficult to find her gravestone.

But eventually I found it.

A bunch of flowers were lay on it and I frowned, not being able to recall any of the others mentioning they had visited.

"Hey Alli" I smiled as I sat down opposite her gravestone. "Sorry I didn't bring any flowers, I didn't plan this visit. Seems like someone else was prepared though" I looked down at the flowers again, checking to see if there was any kind of note on them. "Well, here I am again. Wishing you were here to help me figure shit out"