The End | Thank You

I honestly don't know where to start.

There aren't enough words to describe how thankful I am to all of you wonderful people who have read my work. The support has been overwhelming and I never imagined so many people to ever read my stories.

This December will mark two years since I first started writing Fallen. But sadly, after all this time, Shay and Isaac's story has come to an end.

I'd like to apologise for leaving you all hanging for so long. I wanted to update the epilogue last night but I just couldn't get it right. And quite honestly, it was emotional writing it and I really didn't want to post the final part. But it had to end eventually. Although writing Shay's character off wasn't something I had planned from the start, it was an idea I had prior to writing Flares.

So why did I do it?

Shay was never going to be a character who goes riding off into the sunset with the person she loves. It just isn't her and I knew I had to end her story with something truly epic. I owed it to her and this was the most justice I could ever give to her. However, it doesn't mean that I love Shay and her story any less than other characters I've created. Shay is quite possibly one of my favourite OC's and her story and development is so important to me.

Her and Isaac had something that was special, but it did become something that destroyed Shay. So I wanted to make her character real and relatable. After being without Isaac for so long, she wasn't going to go jumping into his arms as soon as he came back because he caused her so much pain. And it was a long wait for something to happen again, and it is true that they did still have feelings for each other. However, whether they really did rekindle their old love or whether they desperately held on to something, when maybe their hearts weren't quite as in it anymore, is up to your own interpretation. 

Shay's friendships with all of the characters and her family were also equally as important as her relationship with Isaac.

I found it incredibly important to have a M/F purely platonic friendship and that was what her and Scott had. He was the first person she met in Beacon Hills, which made him the first person she trusted. I don't know if any of you remember, but in Warzone on the chapter where Scott, Stiles and Allison had those ice baths in order to find the Nemeton, Shay was Scott's emotional tether. I like to think of them in the way I perceive Bellamy and Clarke's friendship on The 100 show. Like those two, Shay and Scott are both young leaders who, yes, make mistakes, but are still there to support and love each other and prove their loyalties to one another because they are stronger together. 

Liam was also incredibly important to Shay, which gave them quite a sibling dynamic. Her friendships with Lydia and Stiles were also there from the beginning and eventually her friendship with Kira and family dynamic with Malia began to shine through too. And although I did miss out a huge chunk of Shay getting to know Liam, Malia and Kira because I didn't write season 4, I think that if enough of you wanted it (and if I ever got the time,) I might one day write a spin-off book based on Shay in season 4.

Overall, Shay was a character who never really belonged at first. She didn't really hold the same values as her brother and definitely did not have the same morals as Peter. Despite this, she was a Hale and she knew she was similar to them. She did want power and freedom but by meeting the others, she learned how to use that power wisely. She was by herself for so long and she had to learn to care for others and to let people in, and she did. She grew throughout her time with the pack, the most when Isaac left her. And eventually, she began to find her identity. But underneath her fearless exterior, she was human; she was in love and she was scared. All she wanted was to be loved back and to make everyone (especially her brother) proud. Although she did essentially challenge death once she began to figure out her fate, when the time came, she was truly terrified. But what's important is she didn't die in vain. She sacrificed herself to give the others an opportunity to save Mason. She was brave and she was strong but underneath all of that she was raw and human and I loved writing her.

But this is the end.

Thank you for sharing this wonderful experience with me. If you have any questions be sure to comment or personal message me. Whether I end up writing anything based on her in season 4 or not, Shay Hale will always be in my heart.

For one final time, thank you for loving Shay and Isaac as much as I do.

Molly.