Chapter 16

Chapter 16 » stiles was right

"What do you mean, no?" Liam snapped harshly. His protectiveness for Hayden was shining through.

"Liam, look at her." Scott replied helplessly.

"She's too weak. It will kill her." I added quickly. I knew this was a hard decision on Scott and I didn't want Liam to blame only him if anything happened to Hayden. I presumed that maybe if I was on Scott's side, Liam might listen more too.

"We don't even know what the mercury's doing to her. We don't even know if it is actually mercury." Scott continued. "This can't be the only way to save her life."

"It saved mine." Liam retorted.

"You know that was different. You were hanging off a ledge."

"You promised." Liam's baby blue eyes looked between us. "Both of you. You said you'd do everything you could!"

"Which is why I'm not going to do something I think is going to kill her-" Scott suddenly gasped and I stood up straighter, wondering what was wrong. "There has to be-" he started breathing heavily and I realised he must be having another Asthma attack. "There has to-"

"Scott." Theo spoke up, throwing him his inhaler. Scott caught it and shook it. I frowned, wondering why Theo suddenly had Scott's inhaler.

"There's another way to save her." Scott said once he'd got his breath back.

Hayden started breathing heavily and loudly, causing us all to turn our attention to her.

"Guys, I don't know what the statistics are for surviving a werewolf bite, but she's definitely not surviving this." Theo said. "We need to do something."

I bit my lip, turning to Scott. I hated involving Melissa- in fact I wanted to protect her at all costs- but we really needed her. "I think you should call your mom."

Scott sighed and looked over at the others. I knew he was strongly against the idea but there really was no other option.

"She's right." Isaac spoke up. He'd been so quiet I'd actually forgotten he was here. "Your mom's helped us all before."

So Melissa McCall arrived at the animal clinic about twenty minutes later, with lots of hospital equipment.

"What's that?" Liam asked as we helped Melissa drag a machine in.

"It's called chelation therapy. It removes heavy metals from the blood." She informed. "But the problem is that it can injure the kidneys and Hayden only has one to begin with so..."she trailed off, quickly digging the needle into Hayden's skin - who winced.

"Hey, you're hurting her." Liam grabbed Melissa's wrist in a flash. I stepped forwards, making eye contact with her, but she seemed to have it under control. 

"And you're hurting me."

Liam apologetically released his grip. "Sorry."

"Hey guys," Theo spoke up. "Remember, we're here to save a life.
Not kill each other."

"Shame we can't kill you." Isaac mumbled, causing me to hit him on the arm. Secretly though, I did actually kind of agree with that statement.

"It's the full moon" Scott defended, shooting Isaac a look. "We can feel it, even during the day."

"And it's a Supermoon." I added. God, I hated supermoon's.

"What is that supposed to make you guys like super strong? Super aggressive?" Melissa questioned.

Scott sighed. I knew he was worried about tonight. Especially, about handling Liam. He looked like he was absolutely dreading the hours to come. Truthfully, so was I.