Chapter 9

Chapter 9 » the pack actually reads?

"My mom's book club usually has more wine" Lydia stated as the six of us stared at the photocopied versions of the Dread Doctors book.

"And they also probably don't read books that cause violent hallucinations" I said.

"That's why Malia's here" Scott looked over at my cousin.

"So none of us go running into traffic" Kira stated.

"Or worse" I mumbled.

"Like what happened to Judy" Malia spoke up. We all looked up at her, not knowing who the hell this Judy person was. "Chapter 14"

"Oh"

"Maybe I should have my mother read it" Lydia said as she picked up the book. "She might remember a girl with a tail leaping off the ceiling and attacking everyone"

"Right, if it works" Stiles pointed out.

"It has to"

"What does that mean?" I asked.

"I think I saw them during my surgery" Lydia answered. "When I look at the cover of the book, it's almost like-" she cut off.

"Your memory trying to surface" Theo finished.

We all glanced up at him.

"Yeah"

"Isn't that what Valack wanted when he wrote it?" I questioned.

"If they did something to me" Lydia nodded. "I wanna know what it is"

I picked up a photocopy of the book and sat down on the sofa with a sigh.

Let's do this.

~

My eyes started to close and I quickly sat up, trying to wake myself up.

I looked around at the others who were busy reading.

The silence was making me feel uncomfortable.

I looked around again, now feeling restless.

After a while, Scott finally spoke up. "Anyone feeling anything yet?"

"Tired" Kira said.

"Hungry" Lydia added.

"Both" I mumbled.

"I think he meant the book" Theo said.

I heard Kira huff and lay down.

"You're not giving up are you?" Scott asked.

"I'm just resting my eyes"

She reached up to the light and flicked the switch, leaving us in darkness.

~

"So while introducing the African Cane Toad, sounded like a good way to deal with Australia's infestation of the Grey-backed beetle. Unfortunately, the toad also decided to eat everything else in sight" Mrs Finch droned on and on.

I looked over at Lydia, who had her phone out on Theo's contact.

She messaged 'Chimera'

I glanced at her with a frown and she nodded over at Sydney.

"And everything that tried to eat the toad, from crocodiles to household pets, quickly died from the poison they secreted"

I heard her phone buzz and we both glanced down to see the reply from Theo.

'Look at her hair'

I looked over and watched as Sydney brought her hand down which had clumps of hair in it.

"A perfect example of an invasive species. One-hundred and two toads introduced in 1935 became 1.
5 billion by 2010. Once an invasive species is introduced, everything changes" Our teacher explained.

Sydney suddenly rose from her seat and placed the drop form on the desk.

"Wise decision, Sydney" The teacher said.

Lydia quickly sprung up from her seat and started to follow when Miss stopped her.

"Lydia, you know it's for the best"

Lyds ignored her and continued on walking to follow Sydney.

I looked back at Theo and then over at Scott and Kira.

I should probably go after them.

~

"Lydia? Lydia?" I repeated, kneeling next to my best friend worriedly.

"Lydia?" Scott asked. "Are you okay?"

I saw her eyelids flutter and she gasped, her hand shaking. Scott placed his hand on top of hers.

"I'm okay" she replied. "Fine"

"You remembered something?" I asked.

"Not about the dread doctors. Nothing about them or the surgery"

"What was it?" Scott questioned as we helped her up.

"My grandmother. At eichen house"

"Lydia!" I heard the clicking of heels in the hall. "Lydia?" Her mom came running over, Sydney following. "Oh my god, what happened? Are you alright?"

"Mom I'm fine. It was nothing"

"Was it a blackout? Did you faint?"

"Yeah. Yeah I fainted. And I'm fine. I promise"

Her heartbeat jumped.

She lied.

~

A/N

My updating game is so weak I'm sorry. I've actually been a lot more productive than I thought during the holidays and haven't had as much time to write. And the writing I have been doing has mainly been drafting chapters for my Bellamy Blake fanfic (which you should totally check out btw 😉) http://w.tt/1QSnwLT

I hope you all had a great Christmas!

(I GOT WOLFSBANE4 TICKETS)

xo