Chapter 18

Chapter 18 » suspicion 

Time had slowed.

My hands harshly slammed into the hospital doors, forcefully opening them. I stepped inside, the voices of busy people fading as everything blurred around me.

I didn't know if I was breathing.

The blood pounded in my ears as I paused, falling against the wall to catch my breath. All I could hear were Mason's words echoing around my skull.

I desperately fumbled in my pocket again, pulling out my phone and unlocking it. The message Mason had left was still on my voicemails and I clicked on it, seeing if it was still real or just a horrible nightmare.

"Shay? Shay? I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry. His heart- it's been fifteen minutes. It's Scott. He's- I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."

A sob caught in my throat and my phone slipped from my uncontrollably shaky hand, clattering to the floor.

I wanted to scream.

"Miss? Miss are you okay?"

The nurse's kind brown eyes were the first thing I saw. Blinking quickly, because of the tears on my lashes, I looked up at her. She had one hand on my shoulder, the other by her side. Her facial features were drawn in confusion but also concern.

"Miss, come sit-"

I shook my head, taking a gulp of air, feeling as if I'd been starved from oxygen. "No. No, I have to-" My eyes flickered down to my phone on the floor again and I quickly reached down and grabbed it. I stood up again, my head rushing from the sudden movements. "I have to go."

I moved away from her, stumbling slightly. I picked up the pace, moving past people - a lot of them stopping to stare at me. Eventually, I reached a more secluded corridor. It's lights were dimly lit, the darkness strangely comforting me slightly more.

"Mason!" I called out, my voice hoarse. I had no idea if he was here or not and even if he was, he probably wouldn't be able to hear me. I just wanted somebody to turn up and to tell me what happened. "Stiles!" I jogged further forwards, turning to glance in every room. "Liam!" Either my emotions were so overpowering that I couldn't catch anybody's scent or none of them were even here. 

I started to shove my phone in my back pocket again but I realised that there was one long scratch across the screen, like a claw mark. Although I knew the mark was probably from when I dropped it, I still instinctively glanced down at my hands. My claws were in fact exposed and I could only hope that wasn't the reason why everybody was staring at me.

Sharply, I dug my claws into my palms, feeling the raw skin splitting underneath. I gasped at the pain, watching as the first drop of dark red blood hit the floor. Drop after drop. Scream after scream.

Pain makes you human.

No longer being able to stand, I fell to my knees, placing my hands out in front of me. Violent sobs overtook me, and I slammed my hand down on the floor, leaving a few bloodied fingertips as my mark.

My whole body seemed to shake as memories flooded back into my mind.  I left him, I left Scott. That was the last time I would ever see him, touch him, feel his power radiating. If I hadn't gone, if I'd chosen Scott, he would still be here.

"I'm so sorry, Scott," I choked out, my vision now clouded with tears. I felt like I was going to be sick. "I'm so sorry."

"Shay?" I heard Scott's voice call out. I shook my head, placing my hands on my forehead.