weights lifted

I stood there frozen in place next to Zain as I watched my best friend's face shift from shock to hurt to anger. It was like I couldn't move or think to say anything at all, not even some god awful excuse. My hands were numb and it was slowly spreading to the rest of my body, replacing the temporary comfort and warmth that Zain had given me.

"Guys, what's the hold up? I thought you were gonna get Luna so we could all look at the paint-" Sienna stopped behind Violet in the doorway of the closet with her brows furrowed at Zain and I.

Soon everyone walked over to see what the girls were gawking at.

"Is there like a giant spider in there? What's going on?" Liam asked dumbly, trying to peer over everyone's heads.

"I don't know what's going on. Why don't you ask Luna?" Violet's voice was furious and she crossed her arms over her chest, giving me an icy glare.

I swallowed hard to wet my dry throat, "We kissed but it's not- Violet I can explain everything- I just-" couldn't find the words with everyone staring at me.

Sienna's mouth slipped into a knowing smirk, "I knew it," she held out her hand in front of Liam and he groaned as he handed over a twenty-dollar bill.

Monte and Louis stood quietly beside them, giving me sympathetic looks but not having much to say either because they had been sort of left in the dark as well.

"Woah, I was not expecting that," Lucky commented, "Nice man. Someone finally swept loveless Luna off her feet."

Zain let out a weak laugh and shifted uncomfortably beside me. I almost didn't notice that he hadn't said a word either. The situation was growing more awkward by the minute and it didn't seem like anyone had a problem except Violet. I wish I would've told her sooner like I promised myself I would.

"So, Luna are you going to explain everything or are you just gonna stand there?" Violet's glare hardened and I don't think I had ever seen her more angry than she was right now. And I had known Violet for a long time.

"Hey, Vi easy," Lucky tried to put a hand on her shoulder but she shook it off.

Zain cleared his throat, "She came to me because she was having a shit day. I made her feel better, is all. If you have an issue with that then what kind of friend are you?"

Violet looked taken aback by his words and honestly so was I. I didn't expect him to say anything, much less stand up for me. Violet's shock was short lived though.

"The kind of friend that tells the truth and doesn't keep secrets," she told him coolly before giving one last glare at me. She turned on her heel and shoved past the group.

"Violet, wait," I called and started walking after her but Zain caught my arm.

I gave him a pleading look and he let go reluctantly. Leaving him there with the rest of my friends like that was the last thing I wanted to do, especially after what he just did for me. But I had to work things out with Violet and if I didn't catch her before she left, I probably wouldn't get to talk to her for a week. I hated that she found us like that because she was probably thinking exactly the opposite of what it actually was. I didn't even really know what it was but I had to try to explain things to her. She deserved that.

Nausea churned in my stomach as I went after her and for a split second I regretted everything that had happened between Zain and I. Each moment spent with him that I didn't tell Violet about. She was right. What kind of friend was I? Best friends were supposed to tell everything to each other no matter how embarrassing or confusing or weird. Sharing special things with each other was so implied that there wasn't a need for it to be written out in the best friend handbook. As soon as that second passed though I knew I shouldn't regret what happened between Zain and I. I felt too strongly about him to ever feel that way. But the guilt from not telling Violet was nipping at my heels as I tried to catch up to her and I hoped that after I talked to her, I could deal with that guilt.