new kid

A month of school had passed already and before I knew it my days had dreadfully become routine. Wake up early, go to school, talk to Violet, pretend I'm listening to my classes, get annoyed by Zain, go to work, get annoyed by Zain, go home, get ready for bed, get annoyed by Zain texting me. And yeah if it wasn't obvious, Zain having my number was worse than when he annoyed me in person. You couldn't emoji blast someone in person at least. But despite the horrid routine that my life has become, today was Friday and that was always a good thing. Most of the time.

I decided I'd dress a little nicer just to spice it up a little bit. I chose my black velvet crop top, my black skater skirt and my run down black combat boots (I said a little nicer than usual) because I Wanna Be Yours was playing softly and that song always reminded me of black for some reason, I don't know. I mean my whole outfit wasn't black, my hair was white and that had to count for something. I laughed as I looked at myself in the mirror because did I just look like I was some soulless goth or was I actually one? Punk, Luna, that's the politically correct term. And with that I left for school.

"Luna!" Violet called from her seat in our Calculus class. Must she always greet me by yelling?

"What?" I asked as I set my stuff down on my desk beside hers.

"There's a new exchange student in our class. He just transferred from some place in England I think," She explained while looking up to a spot at the front of the room.

My first reaction was to groan because if he was anything like Zain... I didn't need two of them annoying me. Why do all of the exchange students transfer here?

"Which one is he?" I asked curiously.

She pointed to the desk she was eying and nodded. The exchange student had sort of light brown hair that was messy, yet tamed. I couldn't see his face from where I was at the back of the room but he looked decently dressed with bleached out ripped jeans, kind of like mine, and a simple black tshirt and what looked like some laced up espadrilles. Typical beach boy footwear and that definitely lost some of my attention. I guess the black shirt was okay.

"I wanna talk to him so I can hear that gorgeous British accent I know he has," Violet smirked.

"Violet, do you ever act like you have a boyfriend?" I teased.

"Don't tell me you're not dying to hear it too," She said.

"Not really," I said without thinking.

She gave me a look and I was about to explain when Miss Aaron came into the classroom, babbling random things about why she was late like usual.

"Oh right. Okay class we have a new exchange student that just came here from... uh, was it-"

"Doncaster," He answered for her. His voice wasn't as deep as I was expecting but it was still nice and slightly raspy. Less annoying than someone's accent, might I mention.

"Doncaster. Louis, is it?" She checked her roster, "Yeah would you um like to tell us a little bit about yourself?"

I heard him sigh from all the way in the back of the classroom. I feel you buddy. I'm pretty sure Miss Aaron was only doing this so that she could take roll since she came in late. He walked up to the front of the classroom slowly and put his hands in his pockets loosely. He had bright blue eyes that were shocking even from far away and a slight tint to his skin already. Without his accent, you would expect him to have lived here his entire life.

"Right well, there's not much to say really. I mean I'm just like any other person, just a slightly different way of talking I guess. Erm, let's see... I like to paint, listen to music, play football- I mean erm soccer. Woah that's weird," He laughed a little at himself and I couldn't help but smile, "I'm not really that smart but I like math and now that I'm in Florida I wouldn't mind visiting the beach sometime. That's it really," He bit his lip, nodded and looked over at Miss Aaron before raising his eyebrows (she wasn't paying attention) and took it upon himself to sit back down.