tent

It had been about a week since my own mother left a cherry red hand print across my cheek. Since then I'd been living at Violet's which was convenient since we worked at the same place after school. Today Sienna and Liam had a big announcement for us at lunch. I hoped to the stars above they weren't fucking pregnant or something.

Things with Zain seemed more calm I guess. I hated gauging "things with Zain" because it made me feel like this whole situation was a science experiment or like I was some weird, obsessed girlfriend. He hadn't mentioned what we had talked about in the alley way but he seemed more confident. Just subtle things like the way he looked at me and when he walked some. He had been sitting with us at lunch too and he got along really well with Lucky and most of them actually, even Sienna. I saw him in the halls with Robin and Makaio lately too which made me smile. I felt like maybe the misfits were changing him for the better and he was starting to realize that being alone and mysterious wasn't as cool as he wanted it to seem.

I was thinking a lot of about how amazing it was that we could wear hats to school and little about how close Zain was to me as I sat down at our lunch table. Everyone else was already seated and munching away. Sienna was practically glowing and Liam couldn't stop smiling. I know I mentioned my fear of pregnancy but then I started to think maybe engagement and quickly checked Sienna's fingers. No ring. So we all sat there patiently waiting- and seriously confused- for them to start talking.

"Alright so um you guys remember that big surf competition Liam and I were at last weekend?" Sienna started and we all nodded along knowing they traveled four hours to Jax Beach.

"There were like loads of scouts there and when Sienna and I got a shitload of points from all the heats, this scout from UCSB came and talked to us," Liam continued for her.

"Dude no way. I went surfing at Santa Barbara a few times, that place is perfect for you guys," Lucky added.

Sienna's smile grew wider, "Exactly. Which is why we're both fucking psyched that the scout offered Liam and I scholarships for surfing."

Everyone's face instantly filled with shock and amazement.

Monte went over to hug both of them, "I am so happy for you!"

"Really guys, that's incredible," Louis added.

"The uh- the only thing is the scholarships pay for everything basically except tuition," Liam went on.

"That's still pretty damn good though, right?" Violet questioned.

"Yeah," Sienna beamed, "It's amazing. It's just that in order to get instate tuition, which is obviously cheaper, is to live in Santa Barbara for a year..." she trailed off.

"So what you're saying is... what?" my throat started to dry out.

Sienna took a deep breath, "So we've um, we decided that-" she paused and I could feel the tips of my fingers going numb.

When she didn't continue, Liam chimed in, "Since my dad was wanting to move there anyway for the company he works for, Sienna and I have decided to move to Santa Barbara."

The entire table went silent. Tears started to drop from Sienna's eyes, followed by Monte.

"When are you leaving ma fleur?" Monte asked, despite the obvious lump in his throat.

"Monday," Liam answered quietly.

"Monday!" Violet blurted out, "as in three days Monday?"

Sienna sniffled and wiped her cheek with the back of her hand, "I couldn't bring myself to tell you guys earlier. I tried to focus on being happy about the scholarship."