Chapter One - Meeting Him

I looked up at the evening sky to see a faraway object, silhouetted by the setting sun. It was flying towards the thick forest outside of our village, diving lower and lower. My younger sister, Rin, was staring at the object in wonder, her large brown eyes shining and an open-mouthed smile showing on her face. She was about eight years old at the time, while I was newly twelve. The object eventually landed somewhere in the forest that wasn't too deep in, but far enough to be away from people easily. Rin started to slowly walk toward the forest.

"Rin!" I called after her. "Don't go into the forest. You could be hurt!" Rin didn't listen, her curiosity had taken over. She kept on walking, her water canteen swinging slightly. I sighed and smiled at my younger sister's way of living independently. Still, I followed behind her.

When we finally found the place we were looking for, we found nothing that we expected to: I was shocked. I pulled the both of us down and hid behind a tree in a bush. A demon...? I thought to myself. He's... He's... Injured... I took a closer look at the demon before us. Parts of him were covered in drying blood. Although he was lying down on the ground on his side, he still seemed tall and stately, the robes he was wearing adding on to his superior appearance. He was lying on, from where I was crouching with Rin, what looked to be a boa or a long, white, fluffy boa-like tail: I couldn't tell exactly what it was. He was wearing armor, though it was cracked in many places, on his chest and front. He had pale skin; not a dead or sickly pale, but more of a handsome pale. He had long white hair and bangs that loosely hid his forehead. Red demon markings, which were jagged lines at the moment, formed two thin rows on each of his cheeks, and a purple-shaded crescent moon birthmark was in the center of his forehead. His eyes had just turned from bright red to white, and he had a look of shock on his face.

Rin stood up and the bush rustled some. "Rin!" I whisper-shouted, standing up and trying to pull her back down again, but before I could do anything the demon had shot up to a sitting position and was roaring and growling and hissing at the noise he heard. He looked at us with bright red, angry eyes. Rin jumped back and I wrapped my arms around her to hold her from behind, but she only wriggled out of my grasp and took a brave step forward. "Rin...!" I looked at her, terrified the demon would tear her to shreds or kill her in some way. She got as close as she thought she could and set her wooden water canteen down next to the demon. She looked at the demon's face with sympathetic curiosity, and then turned away and came back over to me. I hugged her to me tightly and looked over at the demon, who was staring straight back at me. I gave him a glare and stroked Rin's long, dark hair. We began walking back to the village a few moments later. I could feel his intense stare on my back as we left his line of sight.