Chapter Six: Preparations

I had been following Lord Sesshomaru for around half an hour as the forest seemed only to get deeper and darker. Suddenly, he stopped in his tracks and stood very still.

"Girl." I looked at him, or rather, at his back. "Why do you follow me?" I stayed silent, pondering his question. Why was I following him? Because he saved me. He must have brought me back to life somehow. I whispered to myself, thinking he wouldn't hear me.

"Because you helped me."

"Hmph. Nonsense. I was simply testing this useless sword."

He heard me?! I inwardly scowled. Well, I'm lucky he was willing to test his sword... However that works.

"Girl." He turned around and looked down at me.

"Y-yes?" He stayed silent for a moment, inspecting me.

"I will return within a matter of hours. Jaken, look after her."

"B-b-b-b-but Milord!" the little demon called Jaken stuttered. Lord Sesshomaru glared at him.

"Stay here until I return." He then left us, Jaken staring at his retreating back dumbfounded.

"U-um..." I looked down at Jaken. "Excuse me... Jaken? That's your name, isn't it?" I asked. He looked up at me, surprised.

"You! You... Lowly human! How dare you speak to such a high-class demon such as myself!" he seemed frustrated with me.

"I'm sorry... I just wanted to ask you a question." I looked away embarrassedly.

"Well, don't waste your breath, girl! What was it?"

"Well... I was wondering why... Lord Sesshomaru, is it? I was wondering why he would have saved me, and exactly how. I'm guessing I was killed by those wolves that chased me, and believe me, I'm grateful to be back, but why would he do it? I was hoping you might know."

"Well, don't ask me! I have no idea why Sesshomaru-sama would have used the Tenseiga to resurrect a human. He loathes humans, as all demons do."

"Tell me, what is the 'Tenseiga'?" I asked.

"The Tenseiga is Sesshomaru-sama's birthright sword. It is a blade that, although incredible, cannot hurt or kill living beings. Instead, when he swipes it across something or someone dead, that person or thing is brought back to life."

I was fascinated. "A sword that can't cut? You're right, that is interesting." I smiled a small smile.

"Why are you smiling? Sesshomaru-sama is a strong, powerful demon feared by all! He is nothing to be laughed at!"

What are you smiling about? I remembered. That just made me smile more.

Just as I was going to try and explain why I had smiled, my stomach suddenly let out a loud

GRRRRRRRglllllRRRRRRRR

I flushed in embarrassment. "Heheh... I guess I forgot how hungry I was," I said, scratching the back of my head. "Do you think I can go look for some food, Jaken?"

He debated this for a moment with a slightly panicked look in his eye. "...Fine. Don't wander far, girl."

I nodded and began to walk away, but then stopped. "My... My name is
[Y/N]," I said quietly before jogging away.