Chapter Thirteen: B-blood?!

It had been about four months since we last had an encounter with Naraku or anyone Naraku-related, and I was relieved. The entire time, I tried to help Lord Sesshomaru with anything I could do for him. I was twelve-and-a-half, and I felt that I had matured a lot in the short period of time since that nightmare about Naraku; that is, I learned to keep my thoughts to myself unless something was very important. Perhaps I'd matured physically as well, but I never paid much attention to my body unless I felt sick or unhealthy.

Sesshomaru's POV

[Y/N]...had changed. She had matured quite a bit ever since we encountered Naraku's insects and she told me her life story. I assumed she thought that she had nothing to worry about when it came to keeping her troubles to herself. I could tell that she still had nightmares every now and then, but I could also tell that they were never as harsh as the one she experienced that she first told me about. She had definitely changed mentally. She was turning into a smart, thoughtful girl.

However, something else about [Y/N]  had been beginning to change as well: she smelled different. Although her personal scent was unmistakable, there had been a certain spike added within recent weeks. Something warmer, almost flavorful in a way.

[Y/N] is twelve years old, and halfway through the year. I need to remember that she is only mortal and she could begin her changes from a human girl to a human woman any time. I must keep a close eye on her in case something happens all of a sudden.

"[Y/N]," I said to her. She was currently walking beside me on a mountainous path.

"Yes, Lord Sesshomaru?"

"Have you been feeling well in recent weeks?" She looked at me surprised. "Have you noticed any unusual sickly or painful feelings at all?"

"No, my lord, I haven't. I can't remember really feeling anything out of the ordinary. Why?"

I did not answer her question. Instead, I turned away and walked straight ahead once again. This is no time to explain the concepts of human adolescence to her, especially with Jaken around to listen. If I ever actually needed to explain the mortal pubescent period to her, I would wait until something actually happened. If I told her right then, it would only be another thing she would be on edge about. After all, she seems a bit squeamish and does not like seeing blood or the like if she can avoid it.

Well, now that I'm considering it, it may be a better idea to prepare her. Her female menstrual cycle could scare her if I say nothing.

"Lord Sesshomaru?" I heard [Y/N] say. "It's getting dark, my lord. I don't want to annoy you, but do you know when we may rest for the night?"

I looked down at [Y/N]. "Are you tired of traveling, [Y/N]?" She looked slightly alarmed.

"My lord, if you need to go on, I can go on. I was only asking when we may stop and rest for tomorrow."

"There are many caves in these mountains that would make ideal living spaces. We will find one and we will stop there."

"Okay, Lord Sesshomaru."

"Jaken."

"Y-y-y-y-yes, Sesshomaru-sama?" the toad demon stuttered.

"Go and find a suitable cave for resting in tonight."

"R-right, milord!" Jaken ran ahead of [Y/N] and I.