Chapter Seven: New Kimono

As I arranged the kindling for my fire into a triangular shape, I looked over at Jaken.

"Um... Excuse me?"

"What is it now, girl?!" Jaken asked, seeming exasperated.

"I'm sorry. I don't want to be rude. I just wanted to ask... What exactly should I call you? I feel like simply calling you Jaken would be disrespectful. You yourself said you're a high-class demon, so I was wondering if I should address you with a title."

That is, even if it seems like you're Lord Sesshomaru's personal servant...

"T-title?" Jaken looked up at me with wonder.

I nodded. "Yes, a title. Is there a reason why I shouldn't give you one?"

"N-n-n-no, girl, of course not!"

"Well then, I think I'll call you Master Jaken from now on. Is that alright with you, Master Jaken?"

He composed himself. "Yes, girl. That will do fine." I smiled at him; it was a smile he did not return.

Master Jaken did not ask what my name was, nor did he call me by it anytime while I was cooking my fish over my small fire. I hoped that Lord Sesshomaru would return soon. It had been a long time, and I was begging the hours in the day to be shorter.

Maybe twenty minutes later, Jaken hopped to his feet surprisedly.
"S-S-S-Sesshomaru-sama! You've returned, milord!" I looked up and watched as his figure gracefully dropped to the ground from the air. If someone glanced at him from afar, they could easily mistake him for an angel coming down to Earth.

I got to my feet as well. "Welcome back, Lord Sesshomaru!" I tried to smile at him. It was hard to smile at a person when they were staring you down, however. Lord Sesshomaru walked toward me and stopped a few feet away. He then tossed me a large piece of fabric. I looked up at him and then unfolded it carefully, finding the fabric to be a beautiful new kimono with a(n) [color] and [color] checkered pattern. I gasped quietly and smiled.

"Is this for me, Lord Sesshomaru?" I asked.

"Who else here would need a new kimono?"

I nodded. "Thank you very much, Lord Sesshomaru!" I bowed to him respectfully. "May I change into this?" He nodded and ran over behind some bushes.

I slipped my arms into the sleeves and tied the [color that looks good with your eye color and/or favorite color] sash tightly around my waist, and then smiled. It fit me perfectly.

Sesshomaru's POV

"But Sesshomaru-sama, why?! I simply can't understand why you'd do such a thing!" Jaken spluttered out, completely flabbergasted.

"If she is going to follow me, she'll need something stronger and better fitting to keep herself clothed. Her other one was old."

Jaken was overcome by his surprise about what I was thinking. "FOLLOW YOU?!?!" He tried to calm himself down. "But Sire, she-- that girl is a lowly human! She is nothing compared to even myself! Why would you want her to follow you?"

"It was not my decision to let her follow me. I can sense from her that if she puts her mind to something, she'll do whatever it is. I do not want to have to spill innocent blood if no one is trying to attack me."

"B-but milord--"

"Silence." The girl was emerging from the brush she changed behind. She looked up at me when she was out, her eyes full of curiosity. She suddenly bowed to me once again.

"Many thanks for this kimono, Lord Sesshomaru. If... If I might say it, it fits me perfectly."

"That is good." The girl nodded, then walked over to a small fire she had going. She's smart. She's good with using natural resources. She knelt down and removed a small fish from the kindling, only to place another one there.

"Girl." She looked up at me.

[Y/N]'s POV

"Girl." I looked up at Lord Sesshomaru from my fire. "I can't simply call you 'girl' if you are going to follow me. What is your name?"

"My name?" I stood up and brushed off my new kimono. "It's [Y/N]."

"How old are you, [Y/N]?"

"I turned twelve recently, milord."

Sesshomaru's POV

Twelve, hm? A difficult age. She'll most likely begin her pubescent changes from a human girl towards being a human woman soon. However, if she takes care of herself when something happens, I'll only need to protect her from the demons who will try to get close to her. I'll protect her from danger, as long as she'll take care of herself whenever she can. It's decided, then.

[Y/N]'s POV

"Finish cooking those, then we shall leave." I smiled. I could practically feel my eyes shining.

"Yes, milord!"

Lord Sesshomaru sat down against the tree where Jaken was before, across from me. "Have you cleaned those fish?"

"I can fix them later, milord. I had nothing to do it with, so I couldn't. I promise I can when I have a small blade or something close to one, though."

"Hand one to me." I looked at him questioningly. He held his large, clawed hand out and I reached for one of the fish. I placed it in his palm and watched as he took his other hand and used his claws to slice open and gut the fish. I lightly flushed with embarrassment.

"You don't need to do that, milord. If it's too much trouble--"

"This will only take a couple of minutes."

And it did. Lord Sesshomaru cleaned all of my fish for me and then I found a type of plant to wrap them in. He stood up and straightened out his clothing.

"We're going now, [Y/N]. Jaken, come."

"May I ask exactly where we're going?" Lord Sesshomaru didn't answer me and I nodded.

As the three of us began to walk away, I got a feeling that this was the start of an exciting new life for me....