Chapter Nine: The Talk

Warning: This chapter gets kind of gory!!!

I breathed heavily on the walk back to the campsite with Lord Sesshomaru. I remembered those bugs. Oh, I damn remembered them, all right. I knew the second they transformed back into themselves that they were Naraku's.

I wonder... What would have happened if Lord Sesshomaru wasn't there to save me? Would I have been taken away to Naraku, wherever he's hiding? I shivered at the thought of seeing him again. What would he want me for, anyway? Why did he have his insect minions grab me?

"[Y/N]." I looked up at my lord. "You looked strange when we were back there. Why did you react so to the insects that tried to attack you?" I looked to the ground then, blinking back tears.

"I... I'm not sure if I want to talk about it right this minute. Can it wait until a little bit later, milord?" He nodded. "...Thank you. Lord Sesshomaru."

We arrived back at our campsite soon after that, walking in silence for the rest of the way.

"Sesshomaru-sama! And [Y/N]! You've returned! Are you alright, my lord?" Master Jaken asked, relieved that neither of us had been killed.

"We're fine, Master Jaken." I tried to smile at him, but my face wouldn't let my eyes out of their blank state. The toad demon looked at me questioningly, but shrugged it off. What happened back there? He seemed to be thinking.

"It's getting dark, my lord. Should I start the fire for tonight?" He nodded once and I walked over to the fire pit I had set up. I bent down and looked over to where Ah-Un was sitting. "Ah-Un, would you please come help with this fire?" They stood up and I pulled them by their reigns over to where I was. Ah-Un breathed just enough fire for the logs to catch and I watched as they slowly lit one another up, bit by bit. "Thank you, Ah-Un!" I brought them back over to their spot underneath a tree.

I sat down by the fire and reached out to warm my hands. "I've noticed it's beginning to get colder lately." Neither Lord Sesshomaru nor Jaken reacted to what I said, but the tall demon lord approached my small fire and sat down opposite me. I looked at him, and he
stared back at me blankly.

"M-m-milord?" I heard Jaken squeak out. I saw Lord Sesshomaru close his eyes in annoyance and I laughed quietly.

"What is it?"

"I-is there anything that you would like me to do for you, milord?"

Lord Sesshomaru thought for a moment. "Yes. Leave the two of us and return in the morning."

"Lord Sesshomaru?! All night?!"

"It was you who asked if there was anything you could do. I gave you the answer you wanted, did I not? Go." Jaken sputtered out a few incoherent things, but eventually left and walked into the forest, carrying the Staff of Two Heads.

Sesshomaru's POV

Finally. Some peace and quiet. I opened my eyes to see [Y/N] gazing mesmerized at the slowly growing fire. Humans are so easily entranced by the simplest things. It's in their blood.

"[Y/N]. Are you hungry?" She looked over at me.

"No, my lord. I had something earlier. Thank you for asking, though." She tried to smile at me. Tried, but it wasn't a true smile of hers. "Would you like anything, Lord Sesshomaru?" I shook my head and she nodded. She looked back down at the flames. Their light reflected in her nervous and shocked eyes. I could see that she was both contemplating and trying not to think about something at the same time.

How much does she know about Naraku?

"[Y/N]. Are you ready to speak about what happened?" She closed her eyes and took a deep breath, then looked up at me. Her eyes were brimming with expression.