Chapter Two: All My Life

Although I told her we shouldn't go, Rin and I always went back to see the demon in the forest. Rin would gather a bit of food for him somehow, and throughout the day I would follow her when she brought it to him. He would almost completely ignore us and would not eat the food he was given, but still Rin went to him. I at first mainly went with her to keep her safe, I didn't want anyone hurting the only family I had. But as a few days went by, I started to look forward to seeing the demon. It was amazing and interesting, I'd never seen a real one up close this way before. I thought he would kill us, (wasn't a demon a loather of humans?) but he never tried. He looked calm and peaceful. Of course, it looked as if he needed rest, but why didn't he do anything about us? I didn't know. This demon seemed to be important, high in rank, as well. His robes looked very fine, probably made of a rich silk or other material. He looked to be well taken care of, also; well groomed (he is a dog demon, after all. XD). I wondered who he was all the time.

He kept telling us to mind our own business, but we didn't listen. This was by far one of the most exciting things that we'd ever seen!

One night, while Rin went out to gather supper for the demon (I stayed back in our small hut) I heard a ruckus outside. It sounded like voices shouting angrily at something. I ran outside and followed the sound and found several village men beating up Rin. I was horrified. Not only that, I was angry. "RIN! So YOU'RE the one that's been stealing fish from here!" They had her down in the dirt and were kicking her mercilessly. Stealing fish? Oh, Rin... I ran over there as fast as I could and pushed one of them down, trying to grab Rin and get her away from the men. Instead, I was grabbed by my hair and thrown onto the ground right next to her. I held her shoulders.

"Are you okay, Rin?" She nodded, though I could see she was in pain. I sat up. "What the hell do you think you're doing to my sister?! How could you do this?! You bastards!!!" I tried to punch one of them in the stomach, but I was too slow and my fist was grabbed. A foot made contact with my stomach and I fell back into the dirt.

"Hey..." One of the men said. "Isn't she the one who's parents were killed by a demon?"

"Yep. How old is she, eleven? Twelve? She's pretty!" I scowled at the one who said that.

"Shut it." I looked down.

"Hm. Maybe we should keep her for ourselves. What do you think, we could each have her for a day." Mischievous murmurs of agreement were heard. I stood up quickly.

"YOU OLD PERVERTS!!!" This time, I landed a punch to a couple of faces, and that's when all hell broke loose. Rin and I were kicked, punched, slapped, spat at, insulted, stomped on, and basically beat up.

This is a scene only for people who have and/or want short hair. It doesn't matter what length of short it is, just short.

I was stubborn. I had a lot of stamina that I earned from living by myself--well, with Rin--for a long time. Another one of the villagers finally pulled out a knife from his clothing. A small knife, but sharp, very sharp. He aimed towards my face, and I gasped and moved out of the way just before he could sink the blade into my cheek. However, I felt my long [hair color] hair get pulled back and watched as it was cut short. I used that to my advantage and stood up quickly, grabbing Rin and throwing her over my shoulder and running back towards our hut.

Hope you liked that scene! If you don't want or don't have short hair, then just pretend this scene never happened.

I stood up quickly, grabbed Rin and threw her over my shoulder, running as fast as I could back towards our hut.

"NEXT TIME WE'LL BEAT YOU TO DEATH!"

All my life I had never felt that much pain at one time from humans. Humans were idiotic, hurting each other because of silly arguments. We were ignorant, we were stupid. I had felt worse pain than that before, simply not from human hands and legs and feet and... Well.

As I tried to clean Rin's cuts and bruises, I couldn't help but remember what they said: isn't she the one who's parents were killed by a demon? Damn right, and I was tortured.

I was so angry that night I couldn't sleep. All I could think about was the day that my parents died. Mom and Dad. They were the best. Then he came. Why he only killed my parents, I didn't know. I only knew his name.

Naraku... I thought, gripping the ends of my [now short (if you want)] hair. I'll find you one day. And I'll get you. I'll get you back for taking all that was mine.