Chapter Eight: Demon's Head

I ran through the mist with Master Jaken as I could see it in the near distance. When we got to it, the two of us stopped in our tracks and Master Jaken panted like a dog.

"I beat you!" I teased.

"Fool! This isn't a race!" he scolded.

"Oh look, Master Jaken! Just as Lord Sesshomaru said, there's a dead demon here!" It was large and purple with red eyes and sharp, white teeth.

"My goodness, who could have...?"

"It was Inuyasha," said a deep voice a short distance away from us.

"Sesshomaru-sama," said Master Jaken.

Lord Sesshomaru stopped. "Although... I don't think he got away unscathed, either." He then reached out with his right arm and picked the demon's head up by one of its horns.

Sesshomaru's POV

I can smell it on this demon's fangs... The scent of the Tetsusaiga. Just as I thought... These fangs were able to break the great sword.

I turned to [Y/N] and Jaken. "Let us go." I carried the demon Goshinki's head over my shoulder.

"You're taking that?" Jaken asked.

"Coming, milord!" I could hear [Y/N] smiling through her words as she jogged after me.

I knew immediately what happened here because of the smell of the wind, but there is one thing I do not understand... What was it? That's right... The smell of Inuyasha's blood changed; it was not the smell of a half-demon, but was the same scent as mine and my father's blood. The scent of a demon.

I saw [Y/N] catch up to me out of the corner of my eye, though I did not look down to directly see her. She looked up and smiled at me gently, and I nodded at her.

Something is different about her. In the several weeks she has been following me, she has changed. [Y/N] seems... Happier. I can never sense anything about her being upset with myself or Jaken. She will follow me anywhere gladly and without argument; that, I am glad about.

I wonder, however... Does she ever miss living with humans? I think she must. Is she simply too respectful of me to say anything to me about it?

Hm. Perhaps I can talk things over with her when we next have time.

[Y/N]'s POV

Lord Sesshomaru, Jaken and I came upon a clearing right near a thick forest a little while after the demon's head was taken.

"[Y/N]. We are going to rest here. Gather materials for a fire," Lord Sesshomaru ordered.

"Of course, milord!" I smiled at him and ran to the outskirts of the forest to find wood to burn. I would need something to be able to create a flame, also... Well, perhaps Ah-Un could help with that.

Ah-Un is to Lord Sesshomaru what a horse is to a human; they are used for Jaken or myself to ride on if we need to fly or if I am tired of walking after a long period of time. The difference between them and a horse is, well, they're a two-headed dragon.

I returned a few minutes later with my arms full of wood and I chose a spot for the fire to be lit when needed: close to the forest, but not so close that trees could catch fire. I kneeled down and began to arrange the logs and kindling into a small bonfire-shape.