Chapter Four: Sudden Darkness

I walked while Rin hopped on one foot back to the village. My bruised lips were curved up into a smile as we passed the pond full of plants and had many dragonflies gliding above the surface. However, as we came upon our hut, Rin and I saw something strange: a figure was drinking water from the water bowl against the wall. He turned around and I noticed he had a scar across his right eye.

"What? Does this hut belong to you?" he asked. Rin and I nodded tensely. I heard chaos away from our hut. Shouts of, "wolves, wolves! Man-eating wolves!"

"Damn, have they caught up already...?!" The mysterious man ran out of our home and towards the pond. Soon after, Rin and I watched as a pack of man-eating wolves chased him, followed by a man dressed in an animal skin. The wolves chased him down into the pond, tackled him, and dragged him out of the water to their leader. The leader chuckled.

"I had to search high and low for you, you dirty thief," he said. He held the man up by his head. "Now hand over the sacred jewel shard that you've stolen from me." The man was panting and shaking in fear.

"A-alright! I won't run away!" he said. He removed a pink-glowing shard of a jewel from his sleeve and set it on the ground. The wolves' leader picked it up and smirked. He then stood up and turned away from the man.

"Y-you're going to let me go? Thank you for your mercy!" he said.

"Hmm." The leader flicked his clawed right hand and killed the man in one sweep. Rin and I heard his screams of agony as he died. "Fool," he said, shaking drops of blood off of his hand. "I'd only forgotten." He turned to the wolves. "I've gotten what I came for, now I'm going on ahead. You can stay here and eat what you like." With that, the wolves ran off towards the village to attack even more people.

Rin stood paralyzed at the sight of the man's corpse who we had seen alive barely minutes ago. I watched as the wolves attacked the villagers and grabbed Rin's arm. "Rin." She looked up at my serious look. "Run. Now. Head that way--" I pointed behind our hut-- "Do you remember the larger village we saw from a distance when we walked that way? Find that village and stay safe. Please, remember everything you've been taught. Don't stop for strangers. Stay away from any menacing demons. Remember it all." I hugged her to myself tightly then. "Goodbye, Rin," I said to my mute younger sister. I smiled at her. "Hopefully, I'll see you soon. Now, go!" I gave her a slight push and she ran as fast as she could in the direction I told her. I watched as she disappeared from sight. When I was finally sure she was far away, I took off into the forest. I knew that Rin would be fine on her own for that small bit of time to get to the village, but I needed to be safe too. I knew where I had to go-- to the demon we had been seeing for the past several days. He would help me, and he might even be willing to save my village and kill the wolves if I asked.

I ran as fast as I could, which wasn't my full speed because of the injuries I had gotten the previous night. I was feeling a bit light-headed and I knew that wolves were chasing me. Tears began streaming out of my eyes, I was afraid. I didn't want to die, and I knew that I would be okay if I just made this next bend--

I tripped on a tree root and fell into the dirt of the forest on my stomach. I wasn't able to get up easily. By the time I was able to move, they were already advancing on me. My wide [eye color] stared in horror and defeat as the wolves leaped into the air. They flew towards me and before I knew what had happened next--

Darkness.