Chapter Three: Smile

The next day Rin and I did as we regularly did; had a small serving of breakfast, and then took our walk to the forest to give food to the demon. He was still there. I stayed behind Rin as she held the food out to him.

"I told you I don't need anything." Rin looked down, disappointed. A few silent moments passed as I moved closer to her, kneeling next to her. "Where did you two get those bruises?" he asked, still looking straight ahead. Rin and I looked up at him, surprised. "You don't have to tell me if you don't want to." Rin and I were astonished. I looked at his face with wide, curious [eye color] eyes.

It was then that he turned his head to the right and looked at me. He looked me directly in the eyes with a blank face, yet with a bit of expectancy. His face. It was the first time in... Years... That anyone besides Rin had given me a calm look such as this one, without any judgement along with it. I was used to anger, and people avoiding looking at me at all. (It was a local village rumor that since I was tortured by a demon, he had somehow transferred demon genes or something into me. People avoided me as much as they could, or else tried to hurt me.) He saw my bruised lips, my black eye, the bruises on my cheeks. I probably looked awful, but I didn't care. For the first time in what seemed like forever, someone was looking at me calmly, not having any opinions. I couldn't help but smile. Was he worried about us? Maybe. Happy tears sprang up behind my eyes and I held them back as best I could. Rin was smiling as well, her large brown eyes closed and her missing baby teeth showing.

"What are you smiling about?" he asked. "I only asked you a question." We kept smiling. "I'm not worried, I'm just curious."

The question is more than enough, I thought. More than enough. Thank you.

Sorry this one is so short. I'll try to update again as soon as I can. Byeeee!