Chapter Five: Resting in His Arms

Sesshomaru's POV

"Sesshomaru-sama! Sesshomaru-sama! Would you have really let me die that time?!" I heard that annoying high-pitched voice yell out. Jaken was facing away from me as I walked towards him and Ah-Un. I picked up a stone from the ground and threw it at his head from behind, knocking him off of Ah-Un's back with a screech. He climbed back up. "Ah! Sesshomaru-sama!" He leaped onto Ah-Un's head. "Before I continue in your services, were you really testing your sword on me that day?!" I narrowed my eyes at the imp.

"I expected a 'welcome back' from you, Jaken, not an interrogation."

"Err... Well..." Jaken put his hands up in defense. "Yes! I'm so glad to see you well! I thought you might be dead!" His eyes were wide with cheap hope and fear. I picked up a second stone and knocked him off of Ah-Un for a second time.

A gust of wind blew by. The air carried a certain scent...

Blood... And the smell of wolves, I thought. "I recognize this blood." I turned to Jaken. "Jaken, come." He leaped up and followed me towards the blood's scent. "Yes, Sesshomaru-sama!"

. . . . . . . . . .

I arrived deep in the forest in front of the body of a human; A young human girl. Her. The one with [long/short] [hair color] hair and bright [eye color] eyes who would come with her friend to bring me nourishment every day. There she is, lying in front of me. Dead. The light was gone from her eyes and there were bite and claw marks all over her body, her blood discoloring the shade of her [favorite color or color that looks good on you] child's kimono.

Jaken walked up to her body. "Oh, that's not good," he said. "She's a goner. Been bitten to death. Look at the teeth markings!" He turned to me curiously. "Sesshomaru-sama, do you recognize this human from somewhere?" I remained silent, remembering her smile when I had asked them how they got their injuries.

I unsheathed the Tenseiga and held it for a moment. "What?! What are you doing, sire?!" Jaken asked panicked.

"Should I test it?" I asked myself out loud. "The power of the Tenseiga." I made up my mind, then stepped towards the girl's body. I could feel the Tenseiga pulsing in my grip. I can... See them. The messengers from the Netherworld. There were four of the little creatures, three of them holding small scythes. I raised the Tenseiga to the ugly little things crawling over her body. I saw their shriveled faces of horror as I brought it down upon them, a stream of light disintegrating their bodies.

Jaken watched wide-eyed as I kneeled down to the ground and picked up the girl, holding her against my chest. I waited a moment.

My eyes widened a fraction.

Her heart was beating.

[Y/N]'s POV

Darkness.

Darkness.

Darkness.

I was surrounded by it. Breathing it in, swimming in its depths. I couldn't feel anything, emotionally or physically.
Why am I here? I could not discern whether I was speaking or thinking. I felt so weak, as if the darkness around me was sucking away my energy.

What... Is this place? I couldn't remember anything, not even my name. Is this where I've always been...? I'm so... Confused...

Light.

Light.

Light.

In front of me, a stream of light was cutting through the darkness like the blade of a sword. Before I knew what was happening, I was floating towards it. What... Is this?

I could feel. There was a breeze in the cool air. I could feel my heart beating in my chest and my limbs regaining some of their energy from lack of usage. But I can't see.

That was when I realized: my eyes were closed. I tried to open them. I groaned quietly. It took much will power to be able to, but I managed it. I coughed as oxygen flowed back into my lungs.

I remembered it all. I was looking up into the face of a demon, that demon. Him. The one Rin and I had gone to bring food to multiple times. The one who asked about our injuries. The kind demon. It was then that I realized he was holding me against him, in his arms. He was kneeling down. That's right, I thought. I must have been killed by those wolves. But how could he have...?

"She's come back to life!" a loud, squeaky voice said off to my left. I moved to get out of his hold and he let me stand on my own, leaning back. He and I never broke eye contact, his honey-colored orbs trying to hide curiosity while my [eye color] ones looked into his with pure mystification.

"Sesshomaru-sama!" the squeaky voice said. "You resurrected that human girl with the power of the Tenseiga?!"

"Lord Sesshomaru" stood up and I saw how tall he really was. He walked away without a word.

"H-hello? Sesshomaru-sama?" He did not turn around. The high-pitched-voiced little demon next to me spoke to himself. "Sesshomaru-sama saving a human girl is surprising enough! But more importantly, didn't he just say that he was going to test the power of the Tenseiga once more?" He went into a panicked state. "Th-th-th-that would mean that I was cut down with no guarantee for survival!!!" He began crying. "And to think I've devoted myself to you all of these years! Sesshomaru-sama, why did you do it? I can't understand it!" What the little green demon did not realize was that I was walking away from him after "Lord Sesshomaru."

"Sesshomaru-sama, wait, I'm coming!" he shouted running after me.

Sesshomaru's POV

Hm. Tenseiga. I thought to myself as I walked ahead of Jaken and the girl who was following me. You compelled me to save a human life today...