Chapter Seventeen: He Needs His Heart

Naraku's POV

Kikyo watched, suspicious of the poison insects flying towards her. "Naraku!" she angrily exclaimed.

I stepped out from behind the tree trunk I had been watching her from. "I wanted to see you in person," I said.

"What do you want, Naraku?" Kikyo asked.

"I came to test what my powers were currently like."

"I already told you, Naraku, that as a half-demon who harbor's Onigumo's heart, you do not have the power to kill me."

"You're right. If I still had Onigumo's heart, I wouldn't be able to lay a hand on you, Kikyo." I walked towards her cold, disgusted form. "I wouldn't be able to touch you even if your existence was artificial. I knew you weren't real, and yet I was unable to reach out and take you." I reached towards her and my hand went around her throat. Kikyo gasped from the sudden cut-off oxygen. "A woman made of clay and bones." I let her go and she stumbled, which I found amusing enough to laugh at. Kikyo drew an arrow from the quiver on her shoulder and was about to shoot me--

There was a pulsing sensation coming from my right hand. The said hand suddenly transformed into the hand and arm of one of the demons I devoured for power. This surprised me; Could this be because of the one who calls himself Muso? I was able to force my hand back to normal, with a bit of pain in the process. Realizing that something may be going wrong, I turned to leave.

"What's wrong, Naraku?" Kikyo asked in a condescending tone. "Weren't you going to kill me?" I turned back around to face her.

"Don't get so cocky, Kikyo. I'm not letting you live because I'm afraid of you. It suits my purpose. Besides... I'm not going to kill you. I am going to break you." With that comment, I left Kikyo in the forest.

So, Onigumo isn't completely severed from me just yet.

----TIMESKIP TO NIGHTTIME----

Onigumo, or Muso who harbored Onigumo's heart, had battled with Inuyasha and his comrades. He now resided at a small pond, bathing himself.

"Onigumo." I approached him. "No, I should call you Muso." Muso turned towards me. "Imagine confronting each other like this."

"You're... Naraku?" Muso asked. I let out a laugh as he stood up from his kneeling position. "Are you Naraku?!" he repeated.

"Did you enjoy the outside world after fifty years' absence?"

"Fifty years... Did you say fifty years?!" Muso exclaimed.

"Return to me once more, Muso."

"You have to be joking." He scowled.

"Don't think I want you as a part of me any longer than necessary. However, you were released too early."

"Too early! How can you say that after keeping me locked up for fifty years?!"

"It must have felt like nothing at all to you."

"Oh, now I remember! You're the one who killed Kikyo back then!" Muso pointed a finger at me.

"Your perverted greed lured the demons who wanted to murder Kikyo."

"Wasn't that you?!" Muso shouted.

"That was not me. I am Naraku. You should know that, Muso."

"Shut up! All I wanted was to make Kikyo mine!"

"Kikyo has been resurrected, and looks exactly the same as before," I told Muso, which made him pause.

"W-what?"