August 1st, 2018

I got out of bed and dressed myself. Hook had left me out an outfit that was actually pretty decent. I had on a white blouse and black vest, paired with green pants and black boots. A belt around my waist had a holster to hold a sword, and a black piece of fabric with a stereotypical white skull and cross bones made up a hat. I plopped the hat on my head and walked upstairs. Hook was standing by a stove, cooking some type of fish. It smelled delicious.

"Here you go, love. My, don't you look dashing this morning. This is much better than your princess garb." He handed me a plate of the smoked meat.

"What is this?" I asked.

"You've never seen smoked salmon? I'm glad I had the opportunity to change that. Eat up."

I did as he said, shovelling the salmon into my mouth. A mix of flavours overflowed my mouth.

"I never got the chance to say thank you, Hook. I truly appreciate you being hospitable and not entirely despicable like the tales say you are. You've given me all I need to survive here on this ship."

Hook just nodded before returning to his crew. I focused on my fish and finished it quickly, bringing my plate to Hook.

"I can wash the dishes, if you'd like." I offered.

"That would be lovely." He said. His eyes raced back and forth, never landing on something particular, as if he was having a mental debate with himself.

"I'll help you." He finally said.

His men gasped in unison. Apparently, this wasn't something that happened all that often, if at all.

"Then what are we waiting for?" I said, grabbing a cloth from nearby.

Hook led me to the kitchen and turned on the tap.

"Let's be quick, alright? I want to get the rest of this ship in top shape as soon as possible. An extra hand would be appreciated too."

I understood what he meant by that.

"It'd be my pleasure to help."

He smiled at me and we dipped our hands into the soapy water. As we washed the dishes, I thought back to when he had captured me.

I had just stepped out of my castle, preparing to go for a walk. But then, he spotted me. He was lurking in the shadows and caught me by surprise. I struggled for all it was worth, but I knew I had no chance. I feared for my life, but something in his eyes told me I could trust him. So I went limp, letting him drag me away from the only life I had ever known. 

"You're going to be taught what it's like to struggle." He told me. "To feel pain and not always get what you want. You need to be more grateful for what you have."

I remember sneering at him, but I wasn't afraid. I was curious, and now I'm kind of glad I came, as crazy as it sounds.

"Bethany?" He asked, and I realized that I'd just missed whatever he was saying. 

"I'm sorry, what?" 

He shook his head and laughed. "Always up in the clouds are we, love?" 

"I was just thinking of the night you caught me." I admitted. 

Hook looked shocked. "Really, and why would that be?" He asked. 

"I never got to say goodbye to my family, Hook. And now I'll probably never see them again." I felt tears running down my cheeks, and my shoulders were heaving. 

Sighing, Hook did the last thing one would expect him to. Slowly, as if hesitant, he dried off his hand, reached out until his hand was next to my cheek, wiped my tears away and said, "I'm so sorry."

I sniffled. "It's fine, you guys are my family now I guess." I mustered up a weak smile, but I could tell he could see through it.