3

On the way home I stopped at Starbucks to grab a cup of hot chocolate, which is my all-time favourite drink. By the time I got home, Jay had not come yet, but he had left a note at the desk in the kitchen, I saw.

Dear Ree,

I'm not home until late, food is in the fridge.

- Jay

Ps. there's a little something in you room for you

I went my room, to see what the surprise could be, I stopped by the door before opening it. As soon as I opened the door something jumped up my legs, I looked Down to see a small dog. I checked its dog tag; it said Daisy and had mine and Jay' address and the owner name was mine. Daisy was a ruby coloured dog, but had a white muzzle and was white on her stomach too, she looked quite cute. In one of the corners of my there had been put a bunch of dogs stuff, and on my desk, there was another note:

Ree,

I hope it was a pleasant surprise, I know you always wished for a dog. Her name is Daisy she's a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, she's two years old. I have left all documents you will need for her. I was promoted today, so I decided it would maybe help you to have a dog, you can rely on.

I would suggest you take a walk with her, she might be in need of that, and don't worry she'll do as you tell her to, though she might pull a bit when you walk with her.

Sincerest Jay

I looked through some of the files Jay had left for me, they stated many things about Daisy, like her birthdate, her full name and so on. It wasn't all of them I found interestring, but on the other hand some were really interesting.

I decided to take Daisy for a walk, like Jay had suggested, so I put the leash on her to bring her to the nearby park. When the we made it to the park, it had started getting dark and there were nearly no one there except us. However, Daisy absolutely loved it, which made me glad. I already liked the dog, she was so happy, so careless something I had never really been.

I was always, had always, been worrying about something. I had never been carefree like other teenagers; I had never allowed myself that. I had never been drunk, never been to a party, never had a boyfriend, all that reckless stuff teenagers is supposed to do nowadays. Instead of doing all that, I had had to deal with my past, learn to move on, but only now had I actually started getting somewhere. However, I still worried all the time, I was worried what my father would do to me once he was out of prison, I still had nightmares, and I still cried myself to sleep almost every night. I was still broken, and I had yet to free myself from my past.

I knew it was stupid to worry all the time, but I would just find myself worrying sometimes, about nothing and everything. I hated myself for it, but I could not help it, it seemed no matter what I did, I worried. Not about what other thought about me, I frankly did not give two shits about that. Never the less, I still acted all the time, I acted like I was strong, unbreakable, when in fact it was all just a façade to protect myself form getting more hurt and to hide the scars I already had. My scars might be invisible, but they still very much existed, and they hurt.

my mind started drifting... maybe that I did not care what others thought, was the reason I was bullied? Because I dared to be different? Because I dared to stand out from the crowd? Or maybe it was because the other kids just did not like me as I was? Perhaps they themselves had a problem, and just needed someone to take out their problems on? I did not know, but I wished I did know.

I had been so consumed in thought; that I had not noticed how dark it was getting. When I looked at the clock it was 8.15 PM, and I started walking home in a hurry with Daisy, not because I wanted to get home, but because Jay would be crazy worried if he had gotten home, and I also had plenty of homework I had to do before being able to go to bed.

To my luck, Jay had not gotten home yet, so I could relax. I fed Daisy and ate myself before starting all my homework and going to bed. I had as good as fallen asleep when I felt something moving in my bed. I opened my eyes and saw Daisy cuddling next to me. I debated with myself whether to put her down, but in the end, I decided against it, and soon I fell asleep.

I saw myself entering our old house, walking to my room. I knew exactly what was going to happen, but I could not interfere, only watch. One...2...3...10 and then it came, the sound of my father hitting my mother. I saw myself looking up, and then back at my paper, I had to finish my homework before my father came up. Once again, I heard my father hit my mother, this time even louder, my mother cried out. I saw myself walk out of my room and to the room the sound had come from. That was when it happened, the sound of my father hitting my mother with the bottle, the glass that spread to every inch of the room, my mother's blood. The moment his eyes landed on me, still frozen.

I woke up panting, it had been the same nightmare ever since it had happened that faithful night four years ago, only a few weeks after I had turned fourteen.

Jay was not there this time, but Daisy was. However, Daisy was still asleep, looking peaceful. I wondered what Daisy was dreaming about, and I hoped it was a good dream.

-------------------------------------

surprise update! however, not my best chapter (because I only edited from 3rd person to 1st person)

I don't know what else to say, so this is it until the weekend where i (hopefully) will have upload the next chapter, anyways time for bed!

- Helene