2

I got off the bus at my stop, and then quickly I made my way to the flat I shared with Jay. I unlocked the door, and instantly knew he was home, and not because I was a creep, but he rarely left his jacket at home, and it was there.

"what's wrong?" Jay instantly asked me as soon as he saw me. He knew me too well, just like I did with were him. We were a close pair of siblings, and we had always been so, but I won't tell you the reason just yet.

I explained all of the todays events, the stuff about fireproof, the fife songs I would have to perform by myself without anyone else. I tried not to cry telling it all, but I ended up breaking down. To my luck Jay was, as always, right by my side, letting me cry on his shoulder.

"Shh... I know it's hard" he tried, but I was in a state where it had no effect at all.

"I just don't know if I can handle all this, I mean the pressure, and how am I going to deal with them, today I went full bitch-mode" I told him, even when I often seemed confident, I wasn't, most of the time I was extremely vulnerable.

"It's alright, you can do it, I know you can" Jay comforted me. Somehow Jay would always know what to say to comfort me, and more importantly when to say it, and slowly I started to calm down and relax at my brothers' side.

"Don't leave me mom," I cried in my sleep "please mama, wake up!" I looked down at my mother, whom was lying on the floor; blood was flowing from her head, after my father had hit her... once again.

"Ree, wake up, you're having a nightmare" someone said from above me, only then did I realise it was just a dream, a nightmare, the same one I had had so many times before. I tried to regain control over my breath before opening up my eyes. Beside me on the edge of my bed sat Jay, he smiled down at me when I looked up at him. "It's alright, you're safe" he said and gave me a bear hug.

Jay was most likely the most caring brother on earth, never once had he let me down, and he didn't this time either, he sat beside me and held my hand until I fell asleep again. And I wasn't disappointed when I woke up; Jay lay at the floor in my bedroom. I was aware that most girls would be freaked out by this, but to be honest I found it calming and I rather liked it.

I woke up Jay, knowing he had work today, and would have to get ready, just like me. I then took a quick bath, put on whatever clothes I could find, and fastened my necklace, a golden heart shaped locket. It had been given to me by my mother the day I turned fourteen, my mom had told me it had been in the family for generations, and was very important to me, mostly because it was her whom had given it to me.

I wasn't surprised to see Jay had already found breakfast when I got into the kitchen, he worked really quickly in the morning, and sometimes it drove me insane. "I'm driving you to school today" he said and continued talking to someone over the mobile.

Jay might be a great brother to me, but he was also very busy with work, since he had to pay for the both of us. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't like I was too lazy to work, Jay just refused to let me get a job, his reason being, it would distract me from my studies. However, both of us knew he was just trying to protect me, and that little thing annoyed me, I wanted to be able to fend for myself or at least help him.

Rae caught me as I was on my way to my third period, she wanted to know who I was going to performe with. "Fireproof" I answered, one simple word, and yet had anyone heard me say it they would be freaking out, and Rae nearly did to too, I could see it on her face.

"You mean like the most popular band in school?'" Rae asked, I only nodded waiting for the scream I could see was about to come from her, but it never came, instead she just said "that's so cool"