Chapter Two

"So you're related to Tyler Montenegro?" Luke asks as we approach a wooden picnic table farthest away from other students, who are all staring at me like if I'm new species or just completely lost my marbles; which I'm also thinking at the back of my mind. I mean, people like me definitely never mingle with people like them, it's the way of life. But the universe decided to play a cruel trick on me today, punishing me for eating Brenda's Oreo cookies last week while she slept over.

"Yeah, he's my older brother." I nod shyly, shoving a stran of straight brownish red hair behind my ear with a shy shrug. I can feel everyone's eyes burning holes into my back, watching my every move to see if I'll do something idiotic in front of the football players.

"And Vincent Jimenez's girl." Luke adds with a perfectly shaped eyebrow arched in a questioning manner. I could hear curiosity in his voice with an edge, as if that mere title is something horrendous.

"No, no. He's just a friend." I correct him, shaking my head hastily, once again sending my hair flying around me. The cool wind has picked up speed since this morning, it wasn't as unbearable but it did bite against my skin a bit. I happily snuggle into the warm sweater and slide the hood on to the top of my head, trying to block the wind off my face and also the burning gazes of all the wondering eyes that seem to be following all day.

"Oh, for being just a friend he sure was protective." Isaac chuckles in fake amusement, unwrapping a sandwich he pulls from his bag and taking a huge bite after butting into the conversation.

"Yeah, he's like another older brother to me." I smile at the thought of Vince. If it wasn't for him, who knows where Ty and I would have been after the accident of my father's death. I'll be forever grateful to him for not letting us go deep into sorrow. He helped us not fall apart and became our rock that kept us in sanity.

"I can't believe you ditched us!" I hear Caleb yell from behind. We turn in our seats to the direction his voice came from to see the guys all fixing their black shirts and messy hair. Caleb is pulling his gray hood up to shield his face from the cold as the other guys seemed immune to the chilly weather.

"We didn't want to be around you idiots." Isaac shrugs, taking another bite from his homemade chicken sandwich. The guys all follow his lead once they reach us and take a seat in the vacant chairs and each pull out their siren calling lunches and dig in within seconds as I watch the delicious meals eaten right in front of my starving eyes.

"Where's your lunch Jules?" Nick asked after swallowing a bite of his blueberry pie slice. How did he manage to not have sauce on his lips is beyond me.

"I didn't get to buy one." I inform him nonchalantly, hoping he doesn't hear my growling stomach. I avert my eyes down at the empty table in front of me with a sad expression and try to shield my face from them as I think about the beautiful moments I share with any food.

I debate about going back into the building but there's no way in going in there by myself.

 1) the lines going to be huge by now so I won't be able to eat at all anyways and 2) I don't want all those questioning glares on me for a little while longer especially when I'm by myself.

"Here." I look up to see Isaac offer me his extra chicken sandwich from across the table like it's no big deal. I look from the mouthwatering sandwich to his captivating ocean blue eyes, waiting for him to pull his arm back and say 'just kidding!'.

"Oh, no. I can't eat your lunch." I shake my head, trying to slide it back to him with a sheepish but utterly grateful smile. I see his eyes flare when I smile up at him with some type of look in his eyes before slightly shaking his head and seeming to come back to earth.