Chapter 12 : Blame

--A/N--

Thank you guys for all the support!  This is my first story that I have really been able to attach to, and that is all thanks to you guys.  I'm over 100 votes already!  So, enjoy the chapter!

--Connie's POV--

Garnet's mouth quivered when I said who the monster really was.  Then, a loud popping sound rung through my ears as smoke filled the air.  Garnet instantly turned around and jumped up to catch the gem.  She landed and knelt down to the ground.  Amethyst looked at the Rose Quartz and instantly gasped. 

"Garnet!?  What will we do?  What will happen to Steven?!"  She shouted in a raspy voice. 

Garnet softly ran her finger down the gem, and held back her tears.

"I don't know."

And that, is when it truly hit me.  Steven may not come back.  I took him for granted.  When I was mad at him, I could have been there for him.  I should have been by his side.  How can I call myself a knight?  I love him, but anger took over.  This is all my fault. 

I snapped out of my thoughts when I noticed that Garnet and Amethyst were looking at me sympathetically.  My cheeks felt cold, and when I touched them, I felt wetness.  My face was drenched in tears.  I didn't even realize that I was crying.  Garnet looked at me with anger in her eyes.

"What happened?"  She demanded my answer through her clenched teeth.

I was too shaken to respond.  So, I just covered my mouth and slowly stepped backwards.  I quivered with each step.  Garnet slowly walked forward, towards me.

"What happened?"  She clenched her fist.

Amethyst stood with the gem in her hand.  Her mouth dropped when Garnet started to threaten me.  Amethyst quickly ran over to Garnet to try and intervene.

"Garnet, it's fine."  Amethyst said, clearly lying.

"No it isn't!  We need answers."  Garnet turned back to me. 

She started walking closer and closer to me, as I backed further and further away.  I tripped over a rock and fell onto the ground.  I tried to crawl backwards, but Garnet grabbed the collar of my shirt.  I whined out, grabbing onto her hand. 

"What happened to Steven?"  She shouted, with an enraged raspy voice.

I tried to talk, but my throat felt tight.  I felt like I couldn't breath.  Garnet summoned her gauntlets, making me let go of her arm.  I whimpered in pain from the collar of my shirt digging into my neck.  She pulled her fist back, ready to throw a punch.  I clenched my eyes shut, anticipating the pain to come.  I opened my eyes when I heard her voice in a different tone.  I jumped when I was met with her fist directly in front of my eyes.  She lowered her fist, and I relaxed slightly.

Garnet gasped in a softer tone, "How could you do that?".

Before I heard the rest of the conversation, two hands grabbed me.  We launched into the sky, and landed at the temple.  When the person let me go, I looked behind me immediately.  Amethyst stood with a worried look on her face. 

"I've never seen Garnet like that."  Amethyst mumbled, walking up to the beach house.

I followed Amethyst into the house.  We both sat down on the couch below the loft.  Amethyst set out Pearl and Steven's gems.  Instantly, Pearl's gem glowed a bright white.  It lifted into the air, and started to form a body.  Finally, Pearl came out, and she looked exactly the same.  She fell onto the ground with a thud.

"Where's my Steven!!?"  She shouted jumping back.

When her eyes met his gem, she fell to the ground.  Amethyst hid her head in her hair.  Pearl covered her mouth, and looked on in terror.  Tears rimmed her eyes.  She looked up to me.  She removed her hand from her mouth, and wiped away the tears.

"How did this happen?!"  She managed to shout out.

"The monster was Steven."  I quickly said, not wanting history to repeat itself.

Her eyebrows furrowed and she stood up.  Her face grimaced, and she pointed directly at me.

"This is your fault."  She snarled.

--Author's Note--

OUCH!  This isn't good for Connie!

Anyways, I hope you liked it!  Leave a vote, comment, share, and follow!!

The question of the chapter is : Can you forgive someone easily?

See yah next time!!

-Jordan