Chapter 20 : Back To

--Connie's POV--

I glanced back at the love of my life for one second.  I blinked my eyes shut, feeling the bitter cold wetness of tears running down my face.  I walk back to the box, and outstretch my hand towards it.  The box starts to glow more intense than before, with my hand inching closer.  A small sting bit at my fingertips as my hand near its surface.  I closed my eyes, muttering what I thought would be my last words.

"I love you Steven Universe."

The second my hand met with the rough, hot edge of the box, a strong pain shot up my arm.  My vision took a tinted red.  The tears still spilling sizzled on my warming cheeks.  My entire body felt like it was on fire, causing a whimper to escape my throat.  My eyes widened when I looked back down to the hand that touched the technology.  My hand was slowly morphing into a three dimensional grid line, like a building being built in reverse.  Past the grid, was the worst part.  My hand was slowly becoming one of nothing, disappearing.  I screeched when the grid reached up to my shoulder.  I glance back at Steven, to see something amazing. 

His form seemed to be resetting, as mine was fading away.  He blinked once and jumped, seeing me.  He ran over to me and picked me up into the air.  He pecked my lips over and over again.  I was too stunned to respond.

"Thank you so much!  I love you Connie!" 

He froze for a second, and he looked me in the eyes.

"How did you get it to stop?"  He asked, in a very concerned tone. 

His eyes darted across my body, searching for something.  Once he saw the wound in my arm, he gasped.

"Connie.. You.. Sacrificed yourself?" Tears welled in his eyes, as did mine.

He pulled me into him, and I rested my head over his shoulder. My tears soaked his t-shirt. He ran his hand along my back, trying to comfort me.

"Connie... Why? This will kill-" His breathing hitched.

He stopped rubbing my back and hugged me tighter. He froze, as did I.

"We have to get you out of here now."  He croaked, but his voice was muffled by an even louder boom.

A cloud of dust pulled where a wall once stood, and it was replaced with proudly standing gems.  Pearl was the first to run over and she grabbed onto me.  I whimpered as I was ripped from Steven's grasp, and given to Garnet. 

"Fountain.  Now!"  Garnet shouted, launching out of the area with me over her shoulder.  I saw Steven behind me, following in haste the whole time as we made our journey.  Midway there, something didn't seem right.  I noticed the dimming of my vision, and my awareness was decreasing.  I felt like I was going to pass out, and suddenly, the corners of my vision faded to darkness.  My heavy eyes were fixated on Steven, who looked so concerned at my current looks.
I slowly moved my head downward and gasped when I saw both of my arms completely gone, and red marking the rest of my remaining body. 

"WE NEED TO HURRY!"  Steven shouted, catching up. 

A tingling sensation fluttered among my body as it slowly slipped out of consciousness.

"I love you Ste---ve-"  My eyes closed as a comforting feeling flowed over my body.

--<>--

The only thing I could sense was my heartbeat.  Suddenly, Steven's muffled voice came into my hearing field, but his words were far to quiet for me to understand.  My eyes opened for a split second, catching Steven over me.  A worry flashed over his face before my eyes shut again. 

Again, another sound was heard, it was of water.  I seemed to have been submerged into it, as a cool feeling overcome my senses as I blacked out again.  I could only hear the worried callings of Steven, but I couldn't reply, no matter how much I wanted to.  All of my senses shut down finally for its last time, as I was out into a deep sleep that seemed to last for hours.

--<>--

One by one, my senses started to come back, soon the comforting sensation of warmth enveloped my motionless, fatigued body.  I woke up with a jolt and noticed a strong arm placed around me.  My hand softly grabbed onto the soft sheets of the bed.  A smile curved the edges of my lips slightly as I felt a familiar person nuzzle my hair.  I went to shift to face him, but was met with a harsh pain that struck my body. 

"Ahh!"  I winced and situated back to where I was before. 

"Shh..  It's okay."  I felt his soft lips touch the back of my head, and the pain disappeared.

"Just rest.  You'll need it if you're going to put up with me."

--<Author's Note>--

I'm back guys!!!  Idk if I'll be coming back to regular updating yet but here's one, I hope you enjoyed.

Don't forget to leave a vote!