[One]

Oliver Queen and Amelia Smoak had been known as the dynamic duo since the age of thirteen. No one except the strawberry blonde and the green eyed guy knew how their friendship developed, or why exactly they were always with one another.

But with most friendships, someone almost always fell in love - and maybe that was the problem. Amelia made the mistake of falling in love with the billionaire's son, a young man who bedded more women than he had hot dinners.

But still she loved him, and the most pain he ever caused her was on the day he died.

He wasn't even supposed to be on that boat in the first place. He had planned to go on a roadtrip with Amelia that summer, but when he cancelled to 'go spend time with his father' as he said, Amelia thought nothing of it. Yes, she was saddened but she knew that he would come home in a few weeks.

But he never did come home.

The boat crashed and Oliver and Robert Queen were announced dead a week later, along with Sara - the youngest Lance sister. Oliver had been having an affair with his girlfriend's sister and Amelia was just left with so much anger.

She was angry at Oliver for lying to her and leaving her, she was angry at Robert for letting him go, and she was angry at Sara Lance for betraying her sister's trust due to some idiotic puppy love.

Amelia hadn't truly been herself since Oliver died. She suffocated herself in work and sought refuge in the bottom of a bottle. Her eyes lost their shine and her smile became seldom. She had those around her who still loved and cared for her, but they knew that they could never fix the pieces that were left after Oliver died.

The papers talked, as they always did. Oliver Queen, still leaving scars even after death? was a headline that Amelia had woken up to one morning. The spoke about her and her supposed drinking problems and how she had been seen fighting outside of bars.

And it was true, Amelia did drink a lot and fight outside of bars - but no one would hire that lawyer. So she learnt to build a facade, an alter ego of sorts. People now say her as Amelia Smoak, the most highly regarded lawyer in all of Starling City.

And she kept that facade. Her hair was always pinned by formally, her suit perfectly pressed. She smiled and nodded and spoke politely.

And then she got home and she would get angry and then sad and then drink her sorrows away. It was a vicious and never ending cycle, and yet it was one that Amelia had grown accustomed to.

"Amelia, I'm going. You should go home and get some sleep." Laurel said to Amelia as she logged off her computer.

"I'm almost finished Laurel. You go on, I'll lock up." Amelia replied, not looking up from the file in her hand.

Laurel sighed loudly and made her way to the red head's desk, watching as her manicured nails typed on the keyboard as skilled as a pianist. "I know you want to take Adam Hunt down, but you've been working on this case twenty four seven. You do need sleep." Laurel ordered, folding her arms. "And I'm not leaving until you come with me."

A small smirk made its way onto Amelia's face as she locked up at her friend. "Wow Laurel, at least buy me dinner first." She retorted sarcastically.

"Funny, let's go. I have leftover Chinese in the fridge that's calling out to me."

"Okay, okay. Whatever you say." Amelia snorted and turned her computer off.