[Eighteen]

Dear Ollie,
They say that time heals, that eventually the pain will fade. Everything fades in the end, right? Dawn fades into dusk, spring fades into winter, weeks fade into months and eventually years. Yet, every morning I still wake with a pain in my chest. Every morning I wake to realise all over again that you are gone. I realise all over again that I have become a monster, a shell of my former self.

So maybe, the saying is wrong. Maybe pain doesn't fade with time, maybe we do. Because with time we lose everything. We lose friends and family and eventually we lose ourselves. So time doesn't heal, it just brings more pain.

- Mia xx

--

Amelia's eyelids fluttered and she gasped, trying to sit up. Her hood and mask was still on, her identity still a secret. She felt a presence beside her and she went to attack, feeling disorientated.

"Hey, it's okay. You're safe."

"Oliver." She spoke, her voice scrambler still somehow activated. "Where am I?"

"My ... lair if you wish. You were pretty banged up. You needed stitches in your head and the arrow wound from last month reopened."

"Can I sit up?" She said meekly.

Oliver nodded and helped her into a sitting position. "You still don't know who I am?"

"No." Oliver said, truthfully.

Dingle walked in, his eyes landing on both Oliver and Amelia. "Do we know who she is yet?" Dingle spoke, trying to figure out whether Amelia had told him.

Oliver shook his head. "She will tell us when she's ready."

"She is right here." Amelia laughed and slid off the table, groaning in pain. "Okay, have you gotten any further in the case?"

"No. We were hoping you may have some information." Oliver spoke from behind her.

He saw a red curl fall out from beneath her hood, but didn't pass any remarks to it.

"All the men in the unit had an alibi for Danny's murder. The guy that I fought had a firefly tattoo and his arm was severely burned." Amelia told them.

"Okay. I don't see where you're going with this." Diggle commented.

"You never see where I'm going with anything Diggle." Amelia laughed. "The Nodel tower fire. Some of the bodies were so badly burned that they couldn't even be identified on dental records. What if Garfield Linsten didn't die but was just presumed dead?"

"That's a very good theory." Oliver mused.

Amelia turned round and smiled. It looked slightly mysterious considering he could only really see her rosy red lips which were curved into a smile.

"I'll make you a deal Mr Queen. You pull this off, and I'll tell you who I really am."

--

"Garfield Linsten killed Danny and the other men on your unit." Amelia said.

They were currently at the firemen fund raiser, and time was ticking. Linsten could attack at any moment, could kill anyone.

"There's no way that he could've survived that fire." The chief disagreed.

"You'd be surprised the power that revenge can give you." Oliver said, the smallest of smiles on his face.

"Look, you're insane. He did not make it out of that building."

"Just like you won't make it out of this one." A voice from behind them spoke.

They whirled round to see Linsten just as they explosives went off. Flames engulfed the building, and screams echoed. Oliver pushed Amelia behind him, as Linsten covered the chief in turpentine.

"Run." Linsten told her.

Amelia didn't hesitate. She ran to her car and pulled out the shadow outfit. She ran to the alleyway and tugged it on before re-entering the building. She stood beside Oliver who was in the hood. He fired an arrow that pierced through Linsten's lighter, preventing him from setting the chief alight.

"Go." Amelia told him.

The chief scampered off as the two of them circled Garfield Listen.

"It's over." Oliver spoke, pointing his arrow at him.

Amelia pressed her gun to Linsten's temple as Oliver stood in front of him, his bow still raised.

"I'm not afraid to die." Linsten said.

"We know." Oliver replied.

Amelia lowered her gun and spoke softly. "You're afraid to live."

"We can get you out of here." Oliver told him. "Let me get you out."

"Thanks. But I'm already burned." He sighed.

"Lins don't do it." Amelia pleaded.

Linsten ignored them and walked straight into the fire.

--

Amelia sat and watched the news report. She had not told Oliver who she was, and was still debating whether to do so.

"Eye witnesses contend that numerous lives would've been lost if not for the timely intervention of the vigilante and the shadow. The shadow is known for her killings but also her heroic actions. People believe that she is a cold blooded killer without remorse, while other believe that she is saving our city just as the vigilante is. Either way, these were not the actions of a vigilante or a killer. What's been described is the actions of a hero."

She smiled softly and switched the TV off, the report finished. She grabbed the shadow outfit and set off for the old Queen warehouse, having finally made her decision.

--

"My my, working up a sweat are we?" She laughed as she watched Oliver work out.

Elegantly and with precision he lowered himself back to the ground. He looked at the shadow a small smile on his face. He had an urge to pull off her mask, to see who was beneath it. But he had made a promise and so had she. Either way, Oliver knew that she was utterly beautiful, even without seeing her face. Her poise, her fluid fighting methods, all of it. But it somehow seemed awfully familiar.

"Something like that." Oliver laughed. "How are you feeling?"

"Peachy." She retorted. "I believe you know why I'm here."

"Yes. You made a promise that if we pulled this off, I would see who you are beneath the hood." He replied.

She nodded. "It's only fair after all. I know you and you know me."

"I know you?" Oliver repeated, his eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"Yes." Amelia replied, deactivating her voice scrambler.

Her hands reached up and pulled off the mask, but her head was still lowered. Slowly, her hands gripped the edge of her hood. Anticipation and excited flooded Oliver as the hood began to fall. Vibrant red curls fell from the hood. The girl raised her head, a smile painted onto her rosy red lips.

"Hello Ollie."

--

A/N

And bam, cliffhanger. What did you think about this chapter, did you like it? I actually really like the letter I wrote at the start. What do you think Oliver's reaction will be? Do you think he will be surprised, or do you think he will have already read all of Amelia's letters? Do you think they will fight?