6- Your Head Is Going To Explode

Alice

“Alice, calm down.”

I shook my head furiously at my best friend, batting away tears that wanted to fall. “Gosh, I’m so fucking stupid.” I muttered.

Zoey placed her hands firmly on my shoulders, causing me to stand still and look at her. “Tell me what happened. Seriously, your head’s going to explode.”

“You were right.” I croaked. “I told him.”

“What exactly did you tell him?” Zoey asked cautiously, sitting me down on the bed to try to calm me down because I was on full panic mode. I’d spilled my one most precious secret. I’d held that secret for four years, and now it’s just out there and it’s probably going to ruin our relationship.

“The L word.” I whimpered in embarrassment. “How could I be so stupid?”

“It’s not stupid.” Zoey assured me, wrapping her arms around me. “Did he say what happened after that?”

I nodded. “Well, he told me that he kissed me and that’s when I ran out of the room and in here.”

“He kissed you?!” Zoey yelped incredulously.

I just nodded weakly.

“Why aren’t you happy about this? Evan behind my repulsiveness, I’m happy about this, Alice. What’s the problem here?”

“You said it yourself, Zoe.” I told her. “We’re too damaged for a relationship, even if he did or does like me back.”

“Yeah, I know that I said that, but I’ve been thinking about it and I was wrong.” She told me. “I mean, think about it. Why don’t we trust people?”

“Because they could be using us for our money slash family slash fame.” I muttered.

“Exactly. Lance has the money, he’s part of the family, and he has the fame, even if he doesn’t want it. He has no reason to lie to you, he has no reason to use you. Don’t let the past get in the way of this.” She explained.

“Th-that’s true.” I mumbled, slipping out of the pink chiffon dress and walking into Zoey’s walk-in closet to find something more comfortable to wear. I settled on a pair of short shorts and one of Lance’s t-shirts that had found its way in there.

“Of course it’s true. And you know Lance, he’s a good guy. I can’t believe I’m promoting this relationship, but honestly, I just want you to be happy.”

I shook my head at the incredulity of this whole situation. I never, not in my wildest dreams, thought that Lance could love me back, or at least mildly like me like that. That was never in my realm of possibilities, I’ve just always accepted the fact that it was just a stupid school girl crush and moved on with my life, but he kissed me. Sure, I don’t remember it, but that’s what he said and why would he lie about that? I mean, if he kissed me, that means that he likes me, doesn’t it? Kissing is a universal sign of affection.

“Ali, let me break this down to you, okay?” Zoey told me, sitting down on my lap. “He likes you. You like him. You’re both stupid. No go back in there and talk to him.”

“This is impossible.” I muttered.

“What? The fact that somebody other than me can actually love you for you?” Zoey asked incredulously.

I nodded. “Yes.”

“It’s definitely not impossible. You’re hot and smart and funny and I suck at pep talks, just go talk to him.” Zoey demanded. “Or I’ll do it for you, like elementary school or something.”