38- You Really Had Me Fooled

Alice

“Hey, you aren’t supposed to call for another half an hour.” Zoey’s voice chirped on the other end as I called her from the back of Jarrod’s SUV.

“Yeah, I’m not coming.” I muttered softly. I had stopped by Zoey’s house and packed a few things, since I had practically half of my wardrobe over there and I knew where she kept her suitcases and stuff. I didn’t want to go to my house because there was a great deal of people there now, waiting for Lance’s return. While I was there, I changed into sweats and a t-shirt with slippers and I called Jarrod so that he could drive me away because I didn’t want to drive that stupid Hummer again.

“What?” She cried incredulously. “Listen, Ali, I’m sure the sex is great, but you gotta-“

“No, it’s not that.” I stated quickly. “I’m leaving for a little bit.”

“What are you talking about?” She muttered. “Did something happen?”

“Yeah, but I don’t want you to worry, I’m just going to go take a break and I’ll see you in a week or so, I think I’ll go to New York or something.”

“What?!” She shrieked. “Alice, what’s going on? Is Lance okay?”

“Oh yeah, he’s just peachy.” I assured her. “He might be a little tired when he gets there though, he had to walk most of the way home.”

“What the hell did he do?” She asked in shock.

I leaned back in my seat. “Just ask him, I really don’t want to talk right now. I just don’t want you to worry when I don’t come tonight.”

“Okay, well where are you going? I’ll go with you.”

“No, I really just want to be alone for a little bit. You know that I love you, so much, but-“

“I know,” She interrupted me with a sigh. “I get it, Ali. Just call me, daily, okay?”

“Of course.” I assured her. “I love you, Zoe.”

“I love you too, Ali. Be careful.”

“I will.” I assured her before hanging up the phone and looking up at Jarrod. “How much longer?”

“Just another fifteen minutes until the airport.” He informed me. “Where are you headed? I’ll call the pilot.”

“Manhattan.” I sighed heavily. “I’m going shopping.”

He nodded and then pulled out his phone, making the call to the pilot of the Bowman private jet that was preparing to fly me to New York. I don’t know why neither my mom or dad have the jet, but I’m taking advantage of it, because it sure beats flying commercial.

“Alice, are you okay?” Jarrod eventually asked from the front seat.

I shook my head and crossed my arms. “No.”

“Do you want to talk or something?”

I shook my head again and leaned on the door of the car. “No.”

“Okay, well do you want me to make hotel reservations or anything?”

I nodded. “Yeah, the most expensive suite at The Plaza.”

“You do know that that’s a three bedroom suite, right?” He questioned me.

“Yes, and I will sleep in every one of them and I’ll pee in every toilet and I’ll run around lonely and naked all week.” I snapped at Jarrod. “I want the suite for a week.”