11- I Didn't Know That

Zoey

“There’s a lot of cameras.” Danny mumbled as we walked through the paparazzi area of the party in our back yard.

“Yeah.” I giggled at the shock that he was going through. This was so normal for me, I didn’t think he’d think this was super cool or anything. This wasn’t the least bit exciting to me, really, but he seemed to be having fun and we were just walking through the entrance. Alice and Lance were walking beside me, but they were whispering and I wasn’t about to eavesdrop because I probably didn’t want to hear what they were saying, to be honest.

“So what are we supposed to do?” Danny asked, looking around the busy back yard.

“You smile politely and pretend like you care about what they say.” I replied just as I saw my mother moving towards us with her angry eyes locked on Lance. Well, if her eyes were on Lance, then that means that I’m free.

“We’re gunna run.” I said quickly, grabbing Danny’s elbow and pulling him in the opposite direction, where there was a cute little bar area set up on the other side of the yard.

“What was that about?” He asked curiously.

I motioned over to where Alice and Lance were now getting the subtle third degree from my mother. “You don’t want to get in her way.”

“Isn’t that Mrs. Chase?” He asked with a confused frown.

“My mother, yes.” I confirmed. “And she’s angry.”

“How can you tell?” He asked. “She looks fine to me.”

“Years of practice.” I said with a small laugh. “And right now, she’s pissed. She’s terrible when she’s not angry, so right now she’s like a nightmarish tornado.”

“I take it that you aren’t close with your mom?” Danny asked curiously.

I shook my head. “Not in the slightest. She hates me because I’m not like Margaret. Stuck up and social climbing.”

“She doesn’t hate you.” He tried to assure me.

“No, she does.” I sighed. “She’s told me on multiple occasions. We don’t get along.”

“I didn’t know that.” He muttered.

I smirked softly at that. “Yeah, there’s a lot you don’t know about me.” I told him. “Not everything about me is in the magazines.”

“Okay, well what about your dad?” He asked me. “You said he’s better than your mom, do you get along with him?”

“No.” I told him bluntly. “But we don’t argue either. He doesn’t like the fact that I’m not like Margaret, so he just doesn’t talk to me. Unlike my mother who nags me and yells at me to no end. I don’t feel too bad about it, though, because he doesn’t talk to Lance either.”

“They don’t think going into the army is a good path?” He asked incredulously.

“Nope.” I said, popping the P. “The only reason Lance joined the Army was to get away from our mother.” I muttered rather bitterly before I decided that I was telling him a lot and I should change the subject. “Do you get along with your parents?”

He nodded slowly. “Mostly, yeah.”

“Good.” I sighed. “Hold onto that,” I was about to say something else to add to that, but my eyes wondered over to Lance and Alice at that moment and I saw that bitch standing with them, grinning at Lance like she wanted to devour him. So gross. “Oh, come on.” I groaned to myself before standing up from the bar and walking across the yard, assuming that Danny was following me.