40- Perfect Is Spelled With A Danny

Zoey

“She turned her damn phone off.”

“Zoey, you need to eat.” Danny insisted the next morning after I’d called Alice’s cell ten times within the first half an hour of being awake. She hadn’t answered yet and I was really getting worried. I mean, I know she said that she was okay, but she also said that she’d call, and she wasn’t calling.

“I’m not hungry.” I muttered, sitting in the dining room chair beside Danny. Right when we woke up, we walked the short half mile distance to my house, and we were sitting at my dining room table.

“You haven’t eaten in at least twelve hours, you have to be at least a little bit hungry right now.” He told me, taking my hand in his so that I couldn’t call Alice again. “She’ll call you when she’s ready.”

I sighed and rested my head on his shoulder- I really was kinda hungry, I guess. “I don’t want to eat.”

“Eat anyway.” He ordered lightly with a concerned look on his face. “Please?”

I didn’t want to worry him so, with a small eye roll, I nodded. “Fine. Mark!”

Within moments, the head chef, Mark, made his appearance in front of us with a friendly smile on his face. “What can I get you, Ma’am?”

“Can you make me some eggs and bacon with some toast? Oh, with apple butter.” I asked him, trying to be polite but I wasn’t really in a polite mood, so I don’t know how well that worked out, honestly.

He nodded. “Right away, Miss Chase. Anything for you, Mr. Banks?”

Danny shook his head. “No thanks.”

Mark disappeared towards the kitchen and Danny sent me a confused frown. “Why are you looking at me all weird?” I asked him curiously. “You wanted me to eat, I’m eating.”

“Yeah, but I’ve never seen you ask the chefs to make you food.” He observed.

“Gosh, what do you want from me, Danny?” I wailed tiredly.

“Okay,” He appeased quickly as he wrapped his arms around me and pulled me into a comforting hug. “I’m sorry.” He didn’t have anything to apologize for and I think we both knew that, but I was just so crabby and stressed out that I was ready to behead anybody who questioned me.

“Good morning!” Somebody chirped, walking into the dining room.

I looked up to see that blonde girl walking into the room. Amber was her name and I already didn’t like her at all, so when I saw her I scowled and stood up to face her. “Can I help you?”

“Yeah, I’m looking for Lance.” She said with a friendly smile. “Do you know where he is?”

I nodded. “I’ll go get him for you.”

“Oh, I don’t want to trouble you.” She insisted. “If you just tell me where he is, I’ll go hunt him down.”

“You’ll get lost, this house is enormous.” I grumbled. I know that I could have just had Ben show her up to Lance’s room or I could take her up to Lance’s room but honestly, my best friend instincts kicked in and I didn’t want Amber in his room alone with him because it’d hurt Alice even more if that happened. “I’ll be back in a few minutes.”

“Okay,” She sighed. “thank you.”

If I liked her, I would have invited her to have a seat or something, but instead, I just grabbed Danny’s hand and basically dragged him out of the dining room and as we passed through the kitchen, I saw Mark at the stove cooking my bacon.