12- You Look Extremely Hungover

Zoey

“So what happened to that Danny guy?” Alice asked me as we walked through the hallway of the school on Monday morning.

I shrugged. “I dunno. I mean, on Tuesday, he just kinda walked up to me in writing and asked if I still needed a date so I said yes and then we talked for a little bit and then at the party, when we weren’t with you, we just had small talk, nothing big. And Thursday, I thanked him again at school, but I haven’t talked to him since and I probably won’t.” I summed it all up.

“He seemed nice.” She observed.

“He was.”

“And cute.” Alice added.

“Also true.” I chuckled with a nod as we stopped at our lockers that were right next to each other and pulled out our stuff for our morning classes. In the first week of school, we’d already gotten all of our text books and homework started coming, which is stupid. Like, aren’t classes supposed to give you time before you start getting books and homework?

“Well, maybe you can talk to him again.” She suggested. “Not like talk to him, but like a friend- that way you’re not alone in your writing class.”

“No, I’m perfectly fine for being a loner for an hour out of the day.” I chuckled. “Do you have any friends in art?”

“No.” She sighed as we sat down in English. “I’m also a loner.”

For the rest of the morning classes, it was a struggle to stay awake. Yesterday was a hard day for Alice, and for me, since yesterday morning, Lance was sent off with the Army. I love my brother to death and back, he’s the closest family I have. I mean, sure I consider Alice my family, we’re sisters, but Lance is my blood and he’s really all I have in that category. Margaret is just a nasty bitch and it’s a miracle that she’s gone off to law school again, and my mom… well, she created Margaret. My dad is kind of okay, I suppose, but he never stands up to my mom, so it’s usually what she says goes. Now, I hate my mom even more because her cold-heartedness is the reason why Lance joined the Army- so he could get away.

“I really don’t want to be here.” Alice whined as we sat in Government class with a lecture about the new gun laws. Guns terrify me, so I will never use, buy, or even touch one so these laws really have nothing to do with me at all. Therefore, I didn’t care.

“Almost done.” I told her. “Just one more class and then we’re free.”

“This day is so long.” She groaned.

I nodded in agreement. “I know, but it’s almost over.”

The bell rang and we stood up with the rest of the class, diving into the crowded hallways. Luckily, both of our seventh period classes were in the art wing- I don’t know why creative writing isn’t in the English wing, but I’m really not complaining.

“We should go to Keegan’s this weekend.” Alice suggested.

I nodded in agreement. “Yeah, that sounds good.”

“Good, because we really need a stress reliever right now.” She sighed.

I chuckled. “That is very true. I’ll see you in an hour.” I told her as we had to split directions and walked to our different classes. I sat in the seat that I’ve been sitting in for a week- in the back corner and away from everyone else- and waited for class to start.

“Okay,” Mr. Henry, our teacher started to speak. “Now that we’ve covered the basics, I’m going to give you all of this week to create a story. Any story you want, it can be the most ridiculous thing ever like a dragon that lives on the sun or it can be a love story, a horror, anything. Be creative and show me what you can do. Again, you have all week. There’s no length requirement, but you must tell your story well. Begin.”