Six

[Alyssa]

Chresanto and I make our way into the mall again, returning from taking the shopping bags out to the car for a second time.

"I feel as if I'm wasting all of your money," I admit as he holds the door open for me.

"Nah. I got more money pourin' in from all directions," he chuckles, following me in. "Besides, seeing you smile is something I like to see." I start to blush, and Chresanto wraps an arm around my shoulder as we begin to walk. "Even if it means spending damn near three grand, I'll do it."

"Wait, what!?" I whisper in disbelief. "Chresanto, you don't have-"

Before I can finish, he interrupts me with, "I want to. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing I had the chance to help someone out but didn't take it. The guilt would eat me alive." I smile at his kind hearted personality. "Plus, I've been in a position before where I needed help out of a situation, and it felt like no one was there." I look over to him in time to see his jaw clench once before it relaxes. "So, what store are we going to now?"

We pass by a chocolate store, and my eyes widen. Chresanto's gaze follows mine and before I can even form the question, Chresanto has us walking toward the store. We step in and immediately, we're greeted by the sweet, indulgent smell of chocolate and a lot of other sweet smells.

"Hello," the cashier calls from behind the cash register. "Welcome to Mama's Homemade Sweets. I'm Katelynn. Is there anything I can help you with?"

"Uh, no thank you," Chresanto declines. "We're just looking right now."

"Okay. If you need help, I'll be here." The young girl goes back to sorting through a box of chocolate in front of her as Chresanto and I browse the display. "See anything you think you might like?"

I point to one of the display cases full of chocolate all in the shape of a flower. "That raspberry one looks good." Its in the category of fruit flavors, and it has a raspberry filling in it, which is my favorite.

"Okay." Chresanto and I walk to the counter, and Katelynn's head perks up. She smiles at us, her pink braces showing as her lips part. "Can we have one pound of your Raspberry Flowers please?"

"Sure thing." She gets off of her stool and walks to the display, grabbing a box on her way. She fills it up then weights it and brings it back to us. "That'll be $22.47." Chresanto pulls out a twenty and five dollar bill, holding it out to her. "Your change is going to be $2.53." She bags the box and places a receipt in the bag as well.

"Keep the change," he says, grabbing the box before we leave the store. He holds the box out to me, and I take it.

"Thank you." I kiss his cheek before opening the box and popping one into my mouth. "Want one?"

"No thanks. Chocolate makes me sick," he explains. I stare at him wide-eyed. "I'm allergic to it."

"Allergic to chocolate?" I ask, and he nods. "I bet your childhood was miserable." He chuckles.

"I actually developed the allergy in my late teenage years, which is surprising because as a child, I adored it." We sit on a bench, and I eat more of the chocolate.

I can't help but to ask, "So, what happens if you eat it?"

"It's not a life threatening allergy, Alyssa," he laughs. "I just throw up a lot."

"So, hypothetically speaking, if you were to kiss me right now, would you throw up?" Chresanto laughs again, and shakes his head. "I still can't believe you're allergic to chocolate."