Thirty-Four

[Chresanto]

I lay my half-naked body in the bed and place my hands behind my head, staring up at the dark ceiling. My thoughts are seemingly empty, that is until I get to thinking about the life I helped to create that is currently growing inside of Alyssa.

Things between us progressed a lot faster-- and possibly unrealistic-- than a relationship usually progresses, but sometimes fate has plans that aren't really socially acceptable... and I'm completely okay with how fast things seem to be moving between Alyssa and I.

I roll over onto my side and stare blankly at the wall, thinking of ways to get out of the game for good before bringing a child into this world. I sigh a sigh of defeat and close my eyes, trying to slip into a state of unconsciousness; as I almost reach it, a light knock on my door causes me to become fully aware of everything again.

"It's open," I call, watching as the doorknob twists and the door pushes open. Alyssa pokes her head in the door. "Hey, everything okay?"

"Yeah, Pi- I mean Keeleigh just snores... a lot," she explains, walking in a little more. She's wearing one of my t-shirts and from the look of things, it appears that that is all she is wearing at the moment.

I let out a nervous chuckle. "Yeah, she's real bad about that. You can sleep in here if you'd like." I pull the cover back some and scoot over to give her some room; at first, she hesitates, but soon she walks over to the bed and climbs in, laying on top of the sheet. She pulls the cover over her and faces away from me, not saying anything. "Alyssa?"

"Yeah?" she asks, her voice breaking.

"I'm sorry." She doesn't say anything nor does she turn to face me. "Please say something."

"Like what?" She's still facing away from me, so I can't see her facial expression as she asks her question.

"Like you forgive me," I begin, then quickly add, "or that you will."

"Maybe one day," she replies, curling up and placing her hands underneath her pillow. After she says that, I hear her soft breathing patterns, indicating that she's now asleep.

~•~•~

The past two days have been complete and utter hell; Alyssa still refuses to speak or even look at me most of the time. Dahlia has come over at least three times, but each time has been to see Alyssa or to check on Keeleigh; Shiloh has stopped by to inform me about his brother's recovery, which isn't all that bad and to inform me that he and Jazmyne are going to have a baby boy in about three and a half months.

Currently, I'm sitting in my office, staring out the window when my phone begins to vibrate against my desk. I pick it up and look at the caller I.D. to see my aunt's name flashing across the screen. I accept the call and place my phone to my ear.

"Chresanto, is it true?" she questions, her voice coated by excitement.

"Yes, Aunt Janet, it's true," I answer. "Amelia must have told you?"

"Yes, she did. That girl has always had a sweet spot for our family," my aunt answers back. Amelia is an old family friend, so it comes as no surprise that she told my aunt about her adopted daughter being at my house; it's also no surprise that my aunt prefers me to have dated Amelia, either, but the two of us have a strictly platonic relationship... nothing more, nothing less. "Does she remember anything yet?"

"Not at the moment, no." I continue to stare out of the glass window, watching as Keeleigh sits on the wooden swing hanging from a tree; it was here when I first moved in. "I don't want to overwhelm her."