6teen

[Chresanto]

At a quarter to midnight, I finally pull into the parking garage of Dahlia and Chandler's apartment building. I drive around until I spot my Lamborghini and park in the empty space beside it before shutting the car off. I grab the keys from the console as I open the door and swing my foot outside of the car.

As I step out, I pull my grey hoodie over my head, close the door and lock the car. I venture out of the garage and to the exit, checking my surroundings as casually as possible; I notice two inconspicuous cars parked on opposite ends of the street, and I can only infer that they're feds. I stuff my hands in my pants pockets before walking up the stairs and into the building, forgetting to acknowledge the door man.

As I begin walking throughout the lobby, I notice the building's security guard talking to an unfamiliar female in a pantsuit, and my stomach starts doing backflips like crazy!

The woman guffaws at something the guy says, flirtatiously resting her hand on his forearm. "Oh, Melvin, you're a hoot." I only hear what she says because she practically yells her statement aloud. Melvin, however, uneasily removes her hand and walks off, and a look of defeat washes over her face.

I take my eyes off of her and continue my path to the guest elevator; I would have used the residential elevator, but the concierge usually shuts it down for the night around ten thirty or so. I press the up button next to the elevators and wait patiently for one to open. An elderly woman comes and stands beside me, smiling up at me.

"Are you alright, son?" she quizzes, leaning on her cane. "You look as if you've seen a ghost."

"I'm fine, ma'am," I respond as the elevator let's out a shrill ding! and both doors open. I gesture for the lady to get on before I do, and she smiles at me again; this time, I smile back.

"Such a sweet gentleman," she coos as she steps on.

If only you knew, lady, if only you knew, I retort silently. I step on the elevator after her and wipe the sweat from my forehead. "What floor are you going to?"

"The fourth one." I press the button with the number four in it before I press the button with the eight on it. "Top floor. Are you one of those hussies' male friends?" Her entire demeanor went from the grandma who gives you money and chocolate to the elderly lady who gossips nonstop about her neighbors over tea real quick. "If you are, tell those tramps to keep their vulgar music down tonight."

I chuckle once. "I'm just coming to visit a friend, but if I pass by any parties, I'll be sure to let them know."

"Thank you, dearie." The elevator stops and opens. "Well, this is my stop. Goodnight, young man."

"Same to you," I call as she makes her way off the elevator. Once she's off, the doors close again, and I lean my hooded head back against the metal wall, sighing. "What the fuck have I gotten myself in to?"

The rest of the elevator ride up is a silent one, not that I mind; silence helps me think more clearly. When the elevator comes to a stop, I lean off the wall and wait for the doors to slide open, not preparing myself for what could be waiting for me on the other side.

Surprisingly, nothing too predictable is waiting for me as I step off the elevator. Honestly, I expected the S.W.A.T team or something to be waiting for me, but they weren't; instead, I see Dahlia leaning against the wall just outside of her door. She looks my way as I walk down the hall, waiting for her lecture to begin; once I get to her, I stop, still waiting.