Forty

[Third Person, Limited]

"Mommy!" a small voice of a four-year-old calls out, looking down at the ground. The blonde hair, blue-eyed female walks over to her child before looking down at the ground, gasping at the sight she sees.

"Sweetheart, go back to the house, okay? Tell your father to meet me on the path from the gazebo," she commands the small child.

"But, Mommy-"

"Go, Alana!" her mother yells, watching as her daughter runs off towards their home.

She had been outside, planting flowers in her flower bed while her daughter was playing with her dolls when she heard a loud explosion. She took one glance to the right and saw a cloud of smoke coming from what she assumed to be the abandoned warehouse on the opposite side of the woods from where she was.

She turns her attention back to the sight in front of her and shakes the unconscious man once, hoping to wake him up. "Sir, can you hear me?" He mumbles something incoherent, his eyes still closed. She scans his caramel colored face, noticing an abundant amount of scratches and cuts on his face. "Sir, if you can hear me, my name is Emily, and I'm a registered nurse." The man still gives no response, and as soon as she finishes introducing herself, her husband stumbles upon the two. "Jamal, I need your help. Can you carry him back to the house and lay him on the couch, please?"

Jamal does as his wife requests and picks up the unconscious man the way he once did his wife when they were first married. "Do you know who he is or anything?"

Emily shakes her head. "No, Lana and I were outside when the warehouse exploded, so we went to check out the ruckus, and she just found him laying here unconscious. He hasn't responded to anything," she explains to her husband as they near the threshold of their home.

The man in Jamal's hand stirs around before mumbling, "Kee..."

"Kee?" Jamal repeats, giving his wife a quizzical glance. She shrugs her shoulders as they cross over into the creme-colored two-story home. Jamal takes the man to the living room and lays him on the couch as his wife returns from the kitchen with her nurse's bag in hand. "Is there anything you need me to do?"

Emily shakes her head. "Nothing I can think of, no." She begins to perform C.P.R. on the unconscious man lying on her couch, not knowing what to do if the procedure actually works; unfortunately, it doesn't help any as the man remains unconscious. Emily tries slapping the man awake, as she had seen done in movies several times, but again, her attempt is useless. "Jamal, can you bring me a glass of ice water?"

Jamal nods his head before getting up and going to the kitchen; he soon comes back in the living room with a tall glass of ice water and hands it to his wife.

"Thank you," she says, dumping the ice water on the man. As soon as she finishes dumping the water on him, the guy jumps up, his attention on high alert. Emily mutters to herself, "Guess I should have tried that first."

"What? Where am I? Who are you?" he questions after he realizes his surroundings. "What did you do to me? Who am I?"

"Sir, calm down," Emily manages to get out when the man finally settles down. "My name is Emily, and this is my husband, Jamal. I found you lying unconscious out by the old abandoned warehouse. Can you tell me what you were doing out there?"