Twenty-Nine

[Dahlia]

I check the clock on my dashboard to see that it's currently twelve nineteen, and Isaiah still isn't home. I get out of the car and walk up the steps, jiggling the door knob. To my surprise, the door opens, so I walk in the house, letting my fingers trail over the walls as I do so.

A picture sitting on the bar catches my eye, and I pick it up, examining it; it's a picture of Isaiah and me at the beach; the picture was taken a year before I had gotten pregnant.

I set the picture back where I got it from before walking around through the house, looking for Chandler. As I get ready to call out Chandler's name, the front door opens.

I turn around and come face to face with someone I never expected to see, Isaiah. He let his hair grow out a little more, so he now has hair that looks similar to Odell Beckham, Jr.'s hairstyle; his new hairstyle brings out his rounded face.

He blinks his chocolate brown eyes three times, staring me up and down. "Princess LiLi?"

I cringe as he calls me that nickname before responding, "In the flesh. Now, where is he?"

"Where is who?" he questions, his eyes halfway opened.

"Although it suits you rather well, don't play dumb," I hiss.

Isaiah chuckles before sitting on his couch. "You're funny, you know that, Princess LiLi?"

"Stop calling me that," I growl. "Tell me where Chandler is, Isaiah."

"Isaiah? Now you back to callin' me by my government, huh?" he questions. "Being out in the south has changed you."

"No, being away from you has changed me," I rebuttal. "Why did you even follow me out here?" I cross my arms over my chest. "Why couldn't you just let me be fucking happy for once?"

"You were happy once," he reminds me. "Then, you had to go and snitch on me and get my ass locked up for nine months. I missed being around my son for damn near a year."

"Okay, one, I was only two months pregnant when you got locked up, Isaiah. Two, if you wanted to be in our son's life, then why did you kill him?" I feel my eyes begin to water as I question Isaiah about our deceased son. "He was only three months old."

"When you're behind bars for ten months, you start to question shit you never thought you woulda had to," he answers.

"So, to make yourself feel better, you had to kill an innocent baby!?" I shout, a tear rolling down my cheek. "Do you know what that did to me emotionally!? I may never be able to experience being a mother again, Isaiah!"

"What that gotta do with me?" he snidely questions, shrugging his shoulders.

"Are you fucking serious, Isaiah!? You shot and killed our three month old son!" I shout, another tear falling down my face as I recall seeing the lifeless body with a bullet hole through his forehead. "Jaiden didn't deserve to die because of your stupid ass insecurities and doubts!"

He laughs, and that upsets me to the point where I pull the gun from the waistband of my pants and aim it at him; his laughter is cut short and is now replaced by a look of shock. "You really gonna shoot me, huh?"