Thirty-Nine

[Chresanto]

I sigh, running my hand down my face. Penelope is right. Ace and I kept her in the dark about a lot of things when it came to what we do, and that was wrong. She needs to know the truth.

Before I can speak, Ace speaks up. "Nellie, take ya ass home and take care of ya son."

"Son?" I repeat, incredulously. "I thought you gave the baby up?" I turn my gaze to her, forgetting about everything going on at the moment.

"Hell nah she ain't give that baby up. She kept it," Ace answers.

"Correction, I did give the baby up, but I wanted to have a relationship with my son, so I got in contact with his adoptive parents. They gave me a chance to meet and raise him, so I took it," Penelope replies. "Your turn."

"Nellie, you know what we do," Ace retorts. "Now get ya ass out of here befo' I-"

"Before you what?" Penelope and I cut him off before sharing a glance toward one another.

"Aight. Let this nigga getcho' ass hurt," he growls.

"Ace, your threats don't scare anyone. We all know you're more bark then bite," Penelope challenges, cocking an eyebrow.

"Dammit, Nellie, take ya muhfuckin' ass home!" Ace roars.

"You better listen to your big brother, Nellie. Some crazy shit is about to go down, and I don't think Christian would appreciate his mother being in jail," Maria taunts, her hands still tied behind her back.

"How do you know my son's name?" Penelope questions, then adds, "And who are you?"

"I know a lot about you and your family, just know that," Maria smirks. "As far as who I am, don't worry about all of that, bitch."

"Aye, bitch, don't speak to my sister like that!" Ace shouts, pointing a finger at Maria. "Nellie, I ain't gone say it but once more, then Imma force ya ass to leave, so go home."

Penelope rolls her eyes and concedes. "Fine, but as soon as whatever you guys have going on here is done, one of you owe me an explanation." She turns and leaves the building.

"Now, where were we?" I question, my gun still aimed at the lower half of Maria's spine.

"You gone let my bitch go," Ace snarls. "Then you gone come work for me, and I'll think 'bout lettin' ya baby mama go."

"You're going to let her go first, then you're gonna take this ass whoopin' like a grown man," Dahlia growls.

"Listen here, bitch-"

"Hold the fuck up," Chandler cuts him off. "You're not about to get away with disrespecting my woman like that. I don't give a fuck who you are."

"Chandler," I call as a warning, and he turns to face me. "Let's handle this like civilized adults would please."

Maria kisses her teeth, then retorts, "This coming from the guy who has my wrists bound behind my back with a gun pointing at my spine? Yeah, that just screams civilized." Her tone is full of sarcasm, but no one pays her any mind.

"What do ya say, Chres? You ready to come work wit' a real boss again?" Ace questions, his hands clasped together in front of him.

"Let Alyssa go first," I demand.