Twenty-Six

[Chresanto]

After I reach Dahlia and Chandler's front door, I give one powerful knock before the door flies open.

"Lia?" I call out, reaching for the gun in my waistband.

I check all over the downstairs floor to make sure no one is hiding, and no one is. I slowly walk up the stairs, and I can hear sobbing coming from behind a closed door. I stop at the door the crying is coming from before putting my gun on safety again and sticking it back in my pants; I feel on top of the doorway for the key to the locked room and insert the key into the lock.

On the other side, I hear a faint gasp. I slowly push the door open and call out, "Lia, it's just me."

Without another word, I push the door open all the way and walk over to her. She's curled up into a ball in the corner of Chandler's man-cave/safe room. I get a good look at her to notice she has a cut just above her left eyebrow and a small cut on her bottom right lip.

"Chres!" she exclaims, wrapping her arms around me before crying into my shoulder.

"How did this happen?" I ask, wrapping her in a protective embrace.

She stops sobbing as best she can before looking up at me and explaining, "We were going to go out for a late lunch date, but I forgot my purse upstairs, so I told Chan that I'd meet him at the car. After I got to the car, I saw four guys throwing him in the back of some van, and one of them spotted me. He told his friends to grab me, but I ran back in the building before he could reach me and came in here, then I called you." She lets a tear slip before the real years come pouring in. "You gotta get him back, Chres!"

I clench my fists, my veins boiling with anger. I can only think of one person who'd want revenge on Chandler, and it had a lot to do with Dahlia, which is why I waste no time thinking of what to do next. All I say is, "We will."

[Dahlia]

As Chresanto stands and guards my door, I begin to stuff my clothes in a suitcase. I grab a few pair of shoes before tossing them in the suitcase and make my way into the bathroom. I grab my make-up bag and begin to put things for my hygiene and some actual make-up in it and walk back out into the room.

I walk over to the bed and grab my phone and the necklace Chandler usually wears; he only took it off because he and I took a shower earlier. I place the necklace around my neck and kiss the cross, clutching it in my hands.

I look to Chresanto and nod, letting him know I'm ready. He grabs his gun from his waistband and begins walking out of the room, me following behind with my suitcase and bag. After we make it out the front door, unharmed, he places his gun back in his waist band and grabs my suitcase, rolling it to the elevator for me.

"I think I know who's behind this," he finally speaks as the elevator doors close, the hallway to the my apartment empty.

I feel another tear roll down my cheek as I respond, "I do, too." Before Chresanto can see it, I quickly wipe it away and mentally reprimand myself.

"Lia, I swea-"

"Don't," I cut him off. "I need to deal with him on my own."

"You can't do that, Lia. You're no-"

"I. Have. To," I interrupt, slowly enunciating each word.